• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Movie Studio - looking for tips, examples, feedback, etc.

This is a discussion on Movie Studio - looking for tips, examples, feedback, etc. within the Motorola Xoom Video forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Extras category; Hi everyone, I posted this in the Apps section of our forum, but didn't receive any responses. I have to imagine that people are using ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times

Movie Studio - looking for tips, examples, feedback, etc.

Hi everyone, I posted this in the Apps section of our forum, but didn't receive any responses. I have to imagine that people are using Movie Studio, and thought I'd repost here in the "video" section. Hopefully it's more appropriate. There doesn't seem to be much data online about Movie Studio other than basic reviews.

I was incredibly excited when I saw the first demo of Movie Studio. I travel quite a bit, and have been itching to be able to take pictures and videos and on that same day edit down my content, add some music, and in turn email my creation to friends/family or upload to Youtube.

I've just started working in Movie Studio, but am finding it rather challenging. Beyond the basic issues (it's slow, frames refresh slowly, exports often have stuttering, effects don't always render properly, etc.), the biggest issue I'm having is when my video simply won't export. I'll receive an error code - but with no tip or idea why it's occurred.

This is pretty frustrating after spending 30-60 minutes on something, only to find out that it won't export at either resolution or at any quality level.

I'm open for tips, tricks on how to avoid this, how to better work in the app, and how to get the most out of it. I'd also love to see any samples of movies that've been created.

Also, any word on an update for Movie Studio? It's itching for some quick fixes to some of it's issues (such as the transition problems).

2. # ADS
    Ads

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Twitter
    XoomForum
    Good place for this thread, personally I haven't delved into the Movie Studio Application quite yet but I plan to soon enough

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Thanks tp76. I'm surprised at how little information there is about this app online. I thought it was touted as a "big" thing - a competitor for iMovie on the Android.

I've been doing some testing and here are a few things I've found out. Figured I'd share as a mini FAQ for those who are starting to use Movie Studio. I'll update as I find out (stumble across) more information.

• Something in Movie Studio causes there to be some form of frame rendering, meaning that if you export a single image that is "playing" for 5 seconds, you will see it go in and out of focus as it is rendered (this will be present in your exported movie).
    • Transitions create a strobe effect, and are almost entirely useless when viewing an exported movie ON your Xoom. I've tested using various scenarios, everything from transition timing to in/out transitions. Although they play smoothly in the preview mode, when exported they will strobe.
    • The flip side to this is that transitions for the majority of the time are seamless when uploaded to Youtube.
    • It defaults to 4:3 export. You must select 16:9 in the main menu (first screen) of Movie Studio to make sure you export a 16:9 movie.

Technician X
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    I tried it and its not good. It lags horribly and I couldNt find out to clip a video

I completely agree with everything I just said

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
    I tried it and its not good. It lags horribly and I couldNt find out to clip a video

I completely agree with everything I just said
    It can lag in the player view as you scroll through clips, but I've never had it lag to the point that it would be an issue.

For video (or image) clipping, you simply tap on the clip in the timeline. Green handles will appear on the in and out of the clip. Select and drag to edit your clip.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    phailstone
    I have kept meaning to make a video of using the movie maker with the movie maker and upload it to youtube. I've been busy as I had to write my professional practice exam recently. Maybe this week.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I've noticed a couple updates with 3.1.

• Transitions behave smoothly on exported projects (movies) that are played via the Gallery on your Xoom.
    • You can now select the still camera and video camera functions from within Movie Studio. This allows you to shoot a picture/footage and drop it directly into an active Movie Studio project, instead of having to select all of your elements from previously shot stills/footage via the Gallery.

Unfortunately, this issue is still present;

• Something in Movie Studio causes there to be some form of frame rendering, meaning that if you export a single image that is "playing" for 5 seconds, you will see it go in and out of focus as it is rendered (this will be present in your exported movie).

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Movie Studio frustration

I have low expectations for getting much feedback about these questions because a Google search shows there are very few folks posting about the Movie Studio App.

I created a nice video from several clips of a car show I recently attended. The videos were trimmed, transitions in place and I was about to add the music tracks. The the APP started having "forced closes". At first it was just a mild irritation, but now I can't get my project to open in the App. When I try to open my project the App forces a close.

I thought I might just access my project from Astro File Manager so that I could export it to a movie making program on my laptop, but I can't even find the project files using Astro.

This is very frustrating since I spent hours making this movie. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I have fond my videos via the gallery app. Mine are located in the DCIM/Camera folder.
    I hope this helps.
    JA

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    I've been trying to use movie studio lately, mainly to splice two avi's together. However everytime I tried to import them into the app I get the message 'The video clip download has started. You will be notified when it completes' I've then left it for ages but nothing happens. I've also tried editing videos filmed on the Xoom but as another poster pointed out playing the clip even on the timeline causes video lag. Other problems I've noticed are that it can only create preview pictures of part of the timeline and sometimes the app will close the project you are working on and return to the project select screen. I haven't even attempted to do transitions or cuts yet as its so buggy. Btw this is with android 3.1
    Last edited by Zammo; 07-08-2011 at 03:35 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads