• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How to : DVD & Video to Xoom with DVD Catalyst 4

This is a discussion on How to : DVD & Video to Xoom with DVD Catalyst 4 within the Motorola Xoom Video forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Extras category; Help I'm new to this DVD stuff...I purchased the software and the. Video is on my PC but it wont transfer to my xoom what ...

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: How to : DVD & Video to Xoom with DVD Catalyst 4

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Help I'm new to this DVD stuff...I purchased the software and the. Video is on my PC but it wont transfer to my xoom what am I doing wrong?

2. # ADS
    Ads

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by moorezoom View Post
    Help I'm new to this DVD stuff...I purchased the software and the. Video is on my PC but it wont transfer to my xoom what am I doing wrong?
    Are you stuck at this screen?

xoom-windows-warning-message.jpg

or do you get a different message?
    If you are using WIndows XP or Vista, make sure you have the latest Windows Media Player installed.
    The Xoom unfortunately uses Media Sync as an USB connection mode, which requires the latest Windows Media Player version.

Get Windows Media Player - Microsoft Windows

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I have been using this fantastic DVD Catalyst program and have transferred bunch of movies to my Xoom. Now what is the best way to remove the movies from the Xoom? Does everyone just use Windows to delete files on the Xoom when connected to your computer or is there a better way to delete it from the device itself? Where are the files stored on he device. When connected to the computer, I transfer the moies to a old called Movies on he Com.

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by fljoemon View Post
    I have been using this fantastic DVD Catalyst program and have transferred bunch of movies to my Xoom. Now what is the best way to remove the movies from the Xoom? Does everyone just use Windows to delete files on the Xoom when connected to your computer or is there a better way to delete it from the device itself? Where are the files stored on he device. When connected to the computer, I transfer the moies to a old called Movies on he Com.
    I just use Windows Explorer to remove them. Since I use that to put the movies on it in the first place, I already have it open. I run my conversions, connect the Xoom, delete the ones I don't want anymore, and then copy the new ones on there.

If you use something like Root Explorer, depending on how you transfer the files , they are either located in /sdcard (/sdcard/movie.mp4) or in /sdcard/Movies (/sdcard/Movies/movie.mp4)

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi dvdcatalyst! After running through this entire thread to catch up, I and I'm sure others here are super impressed with your hands on approach with us users and potential users. So, thank you!

Having used the original Apple TV and iOS products for years, I've been using Handbrake to rip my DVD collection with their Apple Universal preset so that I only have 1 file that works for all my devices. If I were to start using DVD Catalyst to convert my existing non-DRM m4v's, would the resulting file still be compatible with my Apple devices and will there be a noticeable quality lose since I'm not encoding from the original source? Maybe you could create a sticky post/FAQ for this since I'm sure there are lots of folks in the same boat given how long iPod/iTouches have been around?

Finally, a little off topic, but being the video guru that you are, have you thought about making an equivalent app to Air Video on iOS for Android? I had experimented with living with an Android phone sometime last year and ended up going back with the iPhone just for that app. Back then I had recalled reading that Android 2.2 and 2.3 had no support for the http streaming protocol and thus, it could not be possible (I could be mistaken) . Not sure if 3.0 still has this limitation, though. For those unfamiliar with Air Video, it's an app that allows you to easily stream video to your device from your computer either from inside or outside of your home network. When outside of your home, it would re-encode on the fly based on your current bandwidth. When dealing with a device unsupported video format like .mts, it would encode on the fly to stream to you. I loved being able to show folks my HD camcorder files without needing to carry the big files with me or just being able to watch anything from my video collection without needing to plan ahead of time. Thanks in advance and keep up the great work!
    Last edited by Xoom_A_Xoom_Xoom; 04-08-2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Fixing typo's induced by the Xoom's web text lag :-)

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoom_A_Xoom_Xoom View Post
    Hi dvdcatalyst! After running through this entire thread to catch up, I and I'm sure others here are super impressed with your hands on approach with us users and potential users. So, thank you!
    Hi xoom a xoom xoom,
    Thanks for reading through the entire thread. The hand-on approach here is something a lot of people enjoy. It makes it easier for them to get into contact with me, and for me, I get to learn a lot of things people are looking for or what I need to work on in order to make dvdcat even better.

Having used the original Apple TV and iOS products for years, I've been using Handbrake to rip my DVD collection with their Apple Universal preset so that I only have 1 file that works for all my devices. If I were to start using DVD Catalyst to convert my existing non-DRM m4v's, would the resulting file still be compatible with my Apple devices and will there be a noticeable quality lose since I'm not encoding from the original source? Maybe you could create a sticky post/FAQ for this since I'm sure there are lots of folks in the same boat given how long iPod/iTouches have been around?
    Actually the Xoom profiles work fine on the iPhone4, iPod Touch 4, iPad and iPad2, as long as the screen resolution doesn't exceed 1280x720. The Xoom profiles in DVD Cat have a custom resolution set to maximize screen-fill when you watch the video on the Xoom (due to the permanent menu-bar video on the Xoom screen will never be 1280x800), so to maintain compatibility its a good idea to adjust that in the selected profile.
    I've been using iPod Touches for years (I have 3 8GB versions from different generations myself), but thankfully in dvdcat I always used MP4 for video for them, so my 1TB collection also plays on my Xoom
    Reconverting video always results in some quality-loss, unless you use slightly higher quality settings, but it will work. If you abide by the info above, you are good to go. If you use older models, you might want to use 720x480 as a screen resolution, since thats what the max supported res for H264 MP4 is on a Touch G1 and G2.

Finally, a little off topic, but being the video guru that you are, have you thought about making an equivalent app to Air Video on iOS for Android? I had experimented with living with an Android phone sometime last year and en. ding up going back with the iPhone just for that app. Back then I had recalled reading that 2.2 and 2.3 had no support for the http streaming protocol and thus, it could not be possible (I could be mistaken) . Not sure if 3.0 still has thise limitation, though. For those unfamiliar with Air Video, it's an app that allows you to easily stream video to your device from your computer either from inside or outside of your home. When outside of your home, it would re-encode on the fly based on your current bandwidth. When dealing with a device unsupported video format like .mts, it would encode on the fly to stream to you. I loved being able to show folks my HD camcorder files without needing to carry the big files with me or just being able to watch anything from my video collection without needing to plan ahead of time. Thanks in advance and keep up the great work!
    An actual on-device app is something I want to do, but unfortunately, I'm a 1-man company, so time is a bit of an issue. I have a few other things on my todo list as well, and hardly have any time left to get to those. I'm not complaining though.
    However, I do have a (free) app that will work for you though. MP4 Streaming Server.

Sample site: MP4 Streaming Server
    if you visit the link on your xoom/iphone/bb or whatever MP4 capable device with internet access, you can access your (MP4) video library from the device' webbrowser.

More info on how to set it up and how it works can be found here:

How to stream movies to your phone for free | Tools4Movies - Home of DVD Catalyst

edit: it doesn't re-encode on the fly though.
    Xoom_A_Xoom_Xoom likes this.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    This is great news and much thanks for the guide for streaming! And, just in time for the weekend, no less. I had played around with another tutorial involving using VLC to stream on another Android device, but that was a no go. I'm excited that I might be one step closer to keeping this Xoom. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    Hi xoom a xoom xoom,
    Thanks for reading through the entire thread. The hand-on approach here is something a lot of people enjoy. It makes it easier for them to get into contact with me, and for me, I get to learn a lot of things people are looking for or what I need to work on in order to make dvdcat even better.

Actually the Xoom profiles work fine on the iPhone4, iPod Touch 4, iPad and iPad2, as long as the screen resolution doesn't exceed 1280x720. The Xoom profiles in DVD Cat have a custom resolution set to maximize screen-fill when you watch the video on the Xoom (due to the permanent menu-bar video on the Xoom screen will never be 1280x800), so to maintain compatibility its a good idea to adjust that in the selected profile.
    I've been using iPod Touches for years (I have 3 8GB versions from different generations myself), but thankfully in dvdcat I always used MP4 for video for them, so my 1TB collection also plays on my Xoom
    Reconverting video always results in some quality-loss, unless you use slightly higher quality settings, but it will work. If you abide by the info above, you are good to go. If you use older models, you might want to use 720x480 as a screen resolution, since thats what the max supported res for H264 MP4 is on a Touch G1 and G2.

An actual on-device app is something I want to do, but unfortunately, I'm a 1-man company, so time is a bit of an issue. I have a few other things on my todo list as well, and hardly have any time left to get to those. I'm not complaining though.
    However, I do have a (free) app that will work for you though. MP4 Streaming Server.

Sample site: MP4 Streaming Server
    if you visit the link on your xoom/iphone/bb or whatever MP4 capable device with internet access, you can access your (MP4) video library from the device' webbrowser.

More info on how to set it up and how it works can be found here:

How to stream movies to your phone for free | Tools4Movies - Home of DVD Catalyst

edit: it doesn't re-encode on the fly though.

dvdcatalyst
    This is great news and much thanks for the guide for streaming! And, just in time for the weekend, no less. I had played around with another tutorial involving using VLC to stream on another Android device, but that was a no go. I'm excited that I might be one step closer to keeping this Xoom. :-)
    There are quite a few people who use the streaming server app. I originally created it for my iPod Touch. Somehow I always wanted to watch something I didn't actually have on the darn thing, so I came up with this to let me access my entire library using wifi

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    dvdcatalyst,

I've downloaded your trial software to see what type of quality to expect before committing to a purchase. I had it re-encode my tangled.m4v file with the Xoom profile and the video frame rate appears to have been increased resulting in a fast video with out of sync audio. At first, I thought it was the Rockplayer Lite acting up again, but I get the same results on my computer as well. Is this to be expected from the trial edition? My original m4v from Handbrake with the Apple Universal preset has the following attributes:

853x480 dimension
    H.264, AAC, AC3, Text codecs
    SD (6-1-6) color profile
    2 audio channels
    1441 total bit rate

The resulting trial file is showing the following attributes:

832x464 dimension
    H.264, AAC codecs
    2 audio channels
    1601 total bit rate

All I did was pick the Motorola Xoom profile, added the tangled.m4v file, and hit go.

dvdcatalyst
    dvdcatalyst,

I've downloaded your trial software to see what type of quality to expect before committing to a purchase. I had it re-encode my tangled.m4v file with the Xoom profile and the video frame rate appears to have been increased resulting in a fast video with out of sync audio. At first, I thought it was the Rockplayer Lite acting up again, but I get the same results on my computer as well. Is this to be expected from the trial edition? My original m4v from Handbrake with the Apple Universal preset has the following attributes:

853x480 dimension
    H.264, AAC, AC3, Text codecs
    SD (6-1-6) color profile
    2 audio channels
    1441 total bit rate

The resulting trial file is showing the following attributes:

832x464 dimension
    H.264, AAC codecs
    2 audio channels
    1601 total bit rate

All I did was pick the Motorola Xoom profile, added the tangled.m4v file, and hit go.
    The behaviour is unexpected, however, I have had people report issues with Handbrake files before.

enable "power user" then in Global Settings > Advanced, turn off the mp4 fix setting, and see if you get better results.

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads