• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How to : DVD & Video to Xoom with DVD Catalyst 4

This is a discussion on How to : DVD & Video to Xoom with DVD Catalyst 4 within the Motorola Xoom Video forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Extras category; wow! Movie watching was the main thing I was hoping for with this xoom but i was getting really lost randomly looking for "how to ...

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: How to : DVD & Video to Xoom with DVD Catalyst 4

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    wow! Movie watching was the main thing I was hoping for with this xoom but i was getting really lost randomly looking for "how to download my DVD's onto a xoom" via google. Really glad i found this, I'm going to go track down this program and give it a shot. DO you know if protected DVD's are a proble? I downloaded a media manager program today then tried to have it copy Star Wars revenge of the Sith, but was told it could not copy (rip?) protected movies? Thanks for any help!!!

2. # ADS
    Ads

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by lowanbing View Post
    wow! Movie watching was the main thing I was hoping for with this xoom but i was getting really lost randomly looking for "how to download my DVD's onto a xoom" via google. Really glad i found this, I'm going to go track down this program and give it a shot. DO you know if protected DVD's are a proble? I downloaded a media manager program today then tried to have it copy Star Wars revenge of the Sith, but was told it could not copy (rip?) protected movies? Thanks for any help!!!
    Most DVDs and video files work, however, there are a few ones that are a bit tricky. When you visit the site, have a look in the Problem DVD section if you run into issues.

On the site you will also find sample trailers created using different settings. Check the Latest News section on it while on your Xoom, and you can stream them directly.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    well I thought I was in good shape with this. all the set-up was going the right way. Catalyst found the DVD when I put it in and started the conversion no problem. Reached 100% in about 30min. but then just popped the dvd out of the computer and opened the 'videos' file where it said it was saving the movie... nothing about plugging in the xoom or transferring the movie. In the video file I found a box/blank icon labeled star wars but it is just a blank square that says type:file size: 0 bytes. I went ahead and dragged it to the xoom and tried dropping it in movies first, then the sub folder under movies ( /mnt/sdcard/movies) It dropped in OK but there is nothing there... the only way I can see the file is while connected to the PC. the video gallery is empty. I tried converting again and the same thing was created. I didn't see any list in the faq or problem dvds for what is happening... any ideas?

dvdcatalyst
    I'm not sure what happened, but could you please provide some additional information

What profile did you select? Did you change any settings, including maybe change the output folder to a different location, or maybe some advanced settings?

Which DVD did you try, and can you try a different DVD and see if the same thing happens?

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I tried Star Wars Revenge of the Sith twice. I'm trying 300 now and it should be done in about 20minutes. I don't think I selected any profile, just the output device (Android and Xoom) I left the output folder 'Videos' I did change the movie name from 'Charlotte' to Star Wars (The DVD title for it always comes up Charlotte... had something to do with hiding it or something... but it's just a file name change, not anything that should impact the conversion...) it started and ran the conversion fine, but the output just comes up empty: here is a pictures of the video folder and the empty Star Wars icon (all the other blank icons have their files listed on them and are blank from being parts of Studio11)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well 300 worked just fine and looks stunning. Star Wars probably has some severe protection on it to keep from being easily moved around without Lucas getting his cut (I hear even the Blu-Ray release is not coming with the standard digital copy) I'm still going to try the other Star Wars movies and see if I have any luck with them. But at least I've got 300 to keep me busy while trying out the others! Thanks for the thread and the technical support. If you do find anything that can get around the Star Wars encryption i would love to hear about it! Thanks much!

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by lowanbing View Post
    Well 300 worked just fine and looks stunning. Star Wars probably has some severe protection on it to keep from being easily moved around without Lucas getting his cut (I hear even the Blu-Ray release is not coming with the standard digital copy) I'm still going to try the other Star Wars movies and see if I have any luck with them. But at least I've got 300 to keep me busy while trying out the others! Thanks for the thread and the technical support. If you do find anything that can get around the Star Wars encryption i would love to hear about it! Thanks much!
    Since the conversion for Sith started, I think its something with the conversion engine that could be causing the issue. About 2 years ago, I released the "Boosterpack" addon for DVD Cat, which enabled better multi-core support, and because it works faster in most cases, it has been included and enabled in DVD Catalyst since v3.86 or so. However, some people have had some complications with DVDs with it, but the benefits outweigh the complications. The original conversion engine of DVD Catalyst is more compatible with DVDs though. I looked through my emails to see if I had anyone mention Sith recently, but the only things I found were related to scanning, which was addressed at the time the movie came out.

If you turn off the "boosterpack" for this DVD, I think it should convert completely.

Enable Power User, and then in Global Settings > Boosterpack, turn it off.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Phantom Menace transferred over perfectly! And as embarrassing as it is to admit, the problem with Revenge of the Sith was not in Catalyst at all but in plain old user error. The xoom devise was still connected to the PC by the USB cable during the first two attempts at converting. The 'plug in Xoom' option never became available because the tablet was already plugged in and so Catalyst could not complete the final stage of the transfer. I'm happy to report that Revenge converted and transferred exactly as described once I followed the steps you laid out without deviation. I would keep going about how happy I am with this tablet now that I can take my movie library with me, but I'm much to busy converting and transferring. Thanks very much for your time and a wonderful program!

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Twitter
    @dimitri407
    I have just one question. Why does this app create two copies of the conversion after I modify the file to crop the pages or to adjust the screen size.

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri407 View Post
    I have just one question. Why does this app create two copies of the conversion after I modify the file to crop the pages or to adjust the screen size.
    It could happen for 2 reasons:

*There are 2 filetypes that a lot of people have reported issues with. FLV files (youtube) and MP4 files (created using similar software) to eliminate the problems people have with these files, DVD Catalyst creates a high-quality temp-file first, which is then converted to the selected format. edit: This can be turned off in Global Settings > Advanced.

*you clicked on the "add device" button in Modify (with Power User enabled) which adds a second device to the conversion. This is useful for if you want to convert the same movie for multiple devices, such as an iPod and a Xoom for example. If you tap the button, it will give you a warning, but if you click Yes, duplicate your currently selected profile so you could make the changes to it you want.

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads