• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How to : DVD & Video to Xoom with DVD Catalyst 4

This is a discussion on How to : DVD & Video to Xoom with DVD Catalyst 4 within the Motorola Xoom Video forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Extras category; I posted a couple of guides on my website that can be used to get movies on the Xoom, Xoom 2, Xyboard etc. They cover ...

Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: How to : DVD & Video to Xoom with DVD Catalyst 4

dvdcatalyst

Lightbulb How to : DVD & Video to Xoom Guide

I posted a couple of guides on my website that can be used to get movies on the Xoom, Xoom 2, Xyboard etc.

They cover the most asked questions I receive on forums as well as by email, so I figured it would be easier to collect them into a single post.

Sample videos. If you visit this link on your Xoom (or other Honeycomb tablet) you can see what it is capable of:

Index of /xoom/fullscreen

For a Getting Started Guide, have a look here:

DVD to Xoom and DVD to Xoom2: Ultimate Motorola Xoom Video How To Guide | Tools4Movies | DVD Catalyst 4

DVD to XyBoard: Ultimate Motorola XyBoard Video How To Guide | Tools4Movies | DVD Catalyst 4

For a guide on how to use DVD Catalyst with Bluray:

http://www.tools4movies.com/2011/08/...-bluray-guide/

How to get your movies to play in full-screen:

How to make all your movies full-screen for Xoom, iPad2, iPhone4, Atrix and more | DVD Catalyst 4, the ultimate app for movies & tv on the go

Streaming. A while ago, I created a (free) streaming server application that you can use to stream your existing mp4 video collection to pretty much any android device:

Kindle Fire Video Streaming Guide Part 1 | Tools4Movies | DVD Catalyst 4
    How to stream movies to your phone for free | DVD Catalyst 4, the ultimate app for movies & tv on the go

And, if you prefer to read the guide on your Xoom/Xyboard, eBook versions can be found here:

This guide will provide you with all the info you need in order to experience the best Movie and TV show watching experience with your Xoom. Here’s how to do it:

Step 1: Getting things setup:

* To be able to convert your movies for your Xoom, you will need to install the conversion software on your computer, in this guide, DVD Catalyst 4.

If you have not done so already, download the DVD Catalyst 4 trial version (link) or purchase the DVD Catalyst 4 Retail version (link) for $9.95.

If you purchased DVD Catalyst 4, you should receive an order confirmation with the download link by email within a matter of minutes. If you purchased and have not received your order confirmation, it is possible, based on the settings of your email spam filter, that the confirmation email was marked as spam/junk mail, and it will likely be located in your spam/junkmail folder.

Find your downloaded DVD Catalyst 4 ZIP file. Usually Windows stores downloaded files in your “Downloads” folder, but depending on if you or someone else changed the location, or what web browser (Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer) you used to download, it could be located on your desktop or in your Documents folder.

The trial version file name is dc4.0tr.zip:

The retail version file name is dc4.0rt.zip

Now simply double-left-click on the downloaded file to open it:

If you are experiencing complications with the downloaded file (partial download, corrupted, no files in the zip file etc), please make sure no download accelerator applications or toolbars are running that would affect the download. If you do not know how to turn those off, please download and install a web browser such as Mozilla Firefox (link), and use that to download the DVD Catalyst 4 installer.

Both the trial version and the retail version are provided as a ZIP file. Since Windows XP, Microsoft has included support for ZIP files in Windows itself, so unless your computer is running Windows 2000, your computer should be able to open the installer without any complications.

However, if you, or someone else installed a trial version of a ZIP application such as WinRAR or WinZIP, it is possible your trial version of this application has expired, forcing you to purchase their product. If you run into this, simply uninstall the WinZip or WinRAR trial application from your computer, so Windows will use it’s own ZIP functionality. Alternatively, you can download and install the free 7ZIP application (link) which supports ZIP files as well.

If the ZIP file opens normally, you should see a dc4…. file and the pdf version of the DVD Catalyst 4 Manual. The manual is something you can look through at a later time, however, this guide covers most of what you need to know, so I’ll continue with simply installing DVD Catalyst 4.

To install it, just doubleclick on the dc4… file.

If you see the above message, just tap “Run” to have it extract and start the installer:

If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, you might see the above message. Just tap Yes here.

Now just click through the installer like you would do with any other application installer.

There are no hidden toolbar/spyware/crapware applications hidden in the DVD Catalyst 4 installer. It will just install DVD Catalyst 4 on your computer, nothing extra that would cause any advertising grief or annoyances.

If, during installation of DVD Catalyst 4, you happen to run into an error message similar to this one:

then the installer tries to install DVD Catalyst while it is already running on your computer, or a different application, such as backup software is trying to access one of the installer files. If this happens, restart your computer, and run the installer again.

At the end of the installer, remove the 2 checkmarks. The Getting Started will just display a guide similar to this one, but more “generic”, and while it is easy to start DVD Catalyst 4 from the installer at this point, this portion of the guide is something you only need to do once, the rest of the guide is something you will do more.

If you happen to get a message similar to this one after the install process is complete:

just click on “This program installed correctly”

Step 2: Using DVD Catalyst 4 to convert your movies and TV shows for your Xoom:

Start DVD Catalyst 4 by clicking the shortcut on your desktop:

The first time you start DVD Catalyst 4, it might take a bit for it to load. Once it is loaded, you are presented with a screen like this:

The manual goes into detail about what and how things work and what they are for, but if you just want to convert your movies and tv shows, there is no need to read up on that.

While DVD Catalyst 4 looks really simple, and it works really easy, it actually grows with you if you are getting more and more experienced (and daring) with your conversions).

Often underestimated by the simple look, there are more advanced features and powerful options in DVD Catalyst 4 than you will find in most similar conversion tools combined. But, rather than forcing you to deal with them like similar applications do, DVD Catalyst 4 handles all of that automatically so you don’t have to.
    When you are ready and interested to play with those powerful features and options, they are there for you to play with, and you can control just about every aspect of the conversion process.
    For the purpose of this guide, I will not go into those now. The manual, as well as some detailed articles on the tools4movies.com website will give you all the details though.

Use the dropdowns on the left side of DVD Catalyst 4 to select Motorola and then Xoom.

There are some additional profiles available for it:

If you are converting DVDs (like most people), just select the Xoom profile. For information about what the others are for, please have a look here: DVD Catalyst 4 – Device Profiles Explained (4.1.x) | Tools4Movies | DVD Catalyst 4

One of DVD Catalyst 4′s main advantages over similar applications is that it includes profiles for almost all video-capable devices on the planet. In the current version (4.1.5.2 at the time of writing this guide) DVD Catalyst 4 includes over 3300 device profiles, so even if you don’t have a Xoom, likely your phone/tablet/ipad is listed. If not, just let us know.

With your Motorola Xoom profile selected, insert your DVD (Spiderman 3 in this example):

Now just tap the Go button to start the process:

This can take a while, depending on the speed of your computer.

On most computers, the conversion runs about twice as fast as it takes to actually watch the movie, so a 2 hour movie will take about 1 hour or so. but if you are using a powerful Quad-Core computer the conversion can go quite a bit faster. Using a high-end laptop, the conversion can run as fast as 8x realtime, so a 2 hour movie converts in 15 minutes or so. If you are using an older computer, or a netbook, the conversion can take a little bit longer though.

After the conversion is complete, DVD Catalyst will open the video folder where your movie file is located:

Now connect your Xoom to your computer, and it should appear on the side:

(If your Xoom does not appear in “My Computer” please scroll down to the troubleshooting section in this guide)

Click on the little arrow in front of it to display its memory locations (if you don’t have an additional memory card in your Xoom, the SD Card will not be there):

Then simply drag your video file over to the one you want to use for your movies. Left-click and hold on your movie file, and then move your mouse to the memory location and let go of the mouse button.

You might encounter a message similar to this:

Just tap “Yes” here.

Once the file is copied over, you can use the build-in Gallery application on your Xoom to play your movie.

Summary:
    It looks like we did a lot so far, but actually we only did a few steps:

1. We downloaded the DVD Catalyst installer from the tools4movies.com website.
    2. We installed DVD Catalyst 4 on the computer.
    3. We started DVD Catalyst 4.
    4. We selected the Motorola Xoom profile.
    5. We put a DVD in the DVD drive,
    6. Tapped Go to start the conversion.
    7. Waited for the conversion to complete
    8. We then copied the video file over to the Xoom.

Your Next Conversion:
    Now with the setup all done, all your future conversions are even easier, because DVD Catalyst 4 remembers your settings.

1. start DVD Catalyst 4.
    2. put a DVD in your DVD drive.
    3. Tap Go.
    4. Wait.
    5. Copy video file over.

The full guide, located here:

Ultimate Motorola Xoom Video How To Guide | Tools4Movies | DVD Catalyst 4

contains additional information, as well as some troubleshooting tips, so if you do encounter something you are not sure about, just have a look in the guide there.

Last edited by dvdcatalyst; 04-29-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: added links:

2. # ADS
    Ads

dvdcatalyst

**XOOM UPDATE : 4.0.2.7 now available**

As promised, after a week and a half of fiddling, today I released the update with new Xoom settings.

*custom screen resolution. (to compensate for the permanent menu-bar)
    *customized profiles for DVD as well as HD content.
    *customized conversion settings to produce better quality files.

I included a simple xoom-readme pdf file which has more info about the specific Xoom changes, as well as a FAQ.

For existing users to update, just tap on the cat-eyes in the program.

Screenshot of Toy Story 3 on the Xoom, converted from DVD, using the standard Xoom profile:

Last edited by dvdcatalyst; 04-22-2011 at 07:24 PM.
    Veritech likes this.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Does this only work for dvds you own or can you download from other sites. I've been messing around wit vuze and torrents. You can download from torrents and it sends it to vuze and automatically converts it to your device but it doesn't recognize the XOOM. It works with android phones.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Twitter
    XoomForum
    Just a heads up, although not all torrents are illegal, most are - let's keep the discussion to what is legal

dvdcatalyst
    video files will work as well. Besides DVDs, it can handle iso's, mkv, mpg, mp4, avi, divx etc as well. As long as the video files are not DRM protected, like "Digital Copies" found on some DVDs, or iTunes rental/purchased content.
    Just start the program and drag your video files onto it. You can also set dvdcat up to monitor video folders to convert automatically.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Great post and tutorial. I see it says Mac is "currently" not supported, any idea when it can be?

Currently using handbreak to rip all my DVD's, it is a very lengthy process, but so far all the videos have come out in pretty good quality.

The one thing I don't understand is the Digital copy, they put it in the box so i can transfer to my portable devices but I can't for the life of me get it out of iTunes.

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_08 View Post
    Great post and tutorial. I see it says Mac is "currently" not supported, any idea when it can be?

Currently using handbreak to rip all my DVD's, it is a very lengthy process, but so far all the videos have come out in pretty good quality.

The one thing I don't understand is the Digital copy, they put it in the box so i can transfer to my portable devices but I can't for the life of me get it out of iTunes.
    Hi Dan,

I picked up a Macbook in 2008 for the purcpose to create DVD Cat for the Mac, but haven't managed to get much done with it. Its on my wish-list, but unfortunately, time is something that is quite rare to me.

As for "Digital Copies", the movie industry looks at the larger market share (iTunes and Windows Media Player-connected devices) and ignores the rest (Android, Sandisk, etc)

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Will Blurays work as well? 90% of my movies are bluray outside of a few that come with a dvd version as well. This could be a neat thing to use in the future.

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by hastekilled View Post
    Will Blurays work as well? 90% of my movies are bluray outside of a few that come with a dvd version as well. This could be a neat thing to use in the future.
    Bluray is a nightmare. I won't go into too much detail, but my first experience with a bluray movie required a 2-hour process of updating my bluray-player to make the darn movie to work, which is something that is just plain wrong. I can understand the reasoning behind it, but by putting paying customers through that will actually cause more piracy than that it would prevent.

Anyway, regarding bluray and dvdcat. The Beta version I have on the site (note, no XOOM profile in it, so write down the settings you use now) works with unprotected bluray movies (use AnyDVD HD or DVDfab Passkey or mount ISOs with something like Daemontools). Unfortunately, from the 40 or so I tried, some worked, some didn't. During troubleshooting I managed to reverse it, but could not come up with a sure-way to handle them all (even with similar video and audio formats, one worked and the other didnt for no reason) so I used the method that worked with most of the ones I tried.

To be honest, I never intended to include bluray support in DVD Catalyst. At $10 compared to the $40+ of most similar tools, including bluray into the existing DVD app wouldn't be a good business strategy, especially in regards of the numerous emails I would receive of new protection methods and whatever else.

Pricing would depend on if I would be able to handle the protection myself, or, like Xilisoft's bluray ripper, if I would need to rely on AnyDVD HD / DVDfab Passkey. I even played with the idea of utilizing Slysoft's affiliate pay-out for AnyDVD HD to cover pricing of Bluray Catalyst ( if you would purchase AnyDVD HD using my affiliate link, you get blucat for free or something along those lines) but unfortunately, the information Slysoft provides about customers is not enough for me to sent out download links.

I am still working on a new conversion engine (which is what the beta version has, but its not up to my standards yet in terms of quality/speed) and when that is complete, I will have more time to focus on bluray.

To access the beta:

In DVD Cat 4, enable "Power User" then go into Global Settings > Version information, and click on the Beta button at the bottom. Keep in mind that there is no XOOM profile in the beta, so you will have to manually select your settings in Modify (just pick something like a Android > Droid profile, and in Modify change the screen resolution and video/audio quality to your liking. Please understand that it is a beta version, and will have some issues. To revert back, just tap on the cat-eyes in the program to "update" to 4.0.2.5.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Thanks for the quick reply. I think I may just stick with the blurays that came with dvd versions with them from the sounds of your post. Haha! I appreciate the in-depth post and can respect the work you go through with your program. I'm know I'll be using this to add some of my dvds though. Give me something to watch since I travel 5 hours to see family a few times a year.

Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads