• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

High profile .m4v works great

This is a discussion on High profile .m4v works great within the Motorola Xoom Video forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Extras category; I'm sure this has been hashed out elsewhere, but a quick search of the forums didn't yield an obvious answer. This may be a basic ...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

High profile .m4v works great

I'm sure this has been hashed out elsewhere, but a quick search of the forums didn't yield an obvious answer. This may be a basic ignorance of video encoding-decoding. I know that the xoom does not like high (or low?) profile h264 MKV files. I took a movie trailer (1280x720) in the MKV wrapper (high profile h.264) and of course it played like garbage on Moboplayer (or smoothey on rockplayer but no sound). I used hand brake and converted it to a high profile h.264 mp4 file with the original resolution (the output extension was .m4v) and the clip played like a charm.

So is the issue with the high/baseline profile of the file or the container its in or both?

Could a codec be optimized for the tegra2 chip to play high profile .mkv/h.264 video?

Sorry if I'm coming across as an ignorant buffoon but it seems like I have read ideas that go either way.

Thanks all

2. # ADS
    Ads

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenbsp View Post
    I'm sure this has been hashed out elsewhere, but a quick search of the forums didn't yield an obvious answer. This may be a basic ignorance of video encoding-decoding. I know that the xoom does not like high (or low?) profile h264 MKV files. I took a movie trailer (1280x720) in the MKV wrapper (high profile h.264) and of course it played like garbage on Moboplayer (or smoothey on rockplayer but no sound). I used hand brake and converted it to a high profile h.264 mp4 file with the original resolution (the output extension was .m4v) and the clip played like a charm.

So is the issue with the high/baseline profile of the file or the container its in or both?

Could a codec be optimized for the tegra2 chip to play high profile .mkv/h.264 video?

Sorry if I'm coming across as an ignorant buffoon but it seems like I have read ideas that go either way.

Thanks all
    The profile itself doesn't actually mean much. While the 3.1 update did improve video support slightly, the Xoom was already capable of playback of high-profile video.
    Its the features that are supported in high profile, such as if cabac is enabled, the amount of reference frames, etc, that affect playability. If the video is created without these special settings, then even though the file is marked as a high-profile video of a certain level, its still baseline.

Remove Ads

Ads