• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Xoom WiFi vs Asus Eee Pad Transformer

This is a discussion on Xoom WiFi vs Asus Eee Pad Transformer within the Motorola Xoom vs. Others forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; With the Transformer's release in the US being imminent, is anyone else considering returning their Xoom WiFi? Honestly, the $200 savings on the Transformer is ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Xoom WiFi vs Asus Eee Pad Transformer

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Xoom WiFi vs Asus Eee Pad Transformer

With the Transformer's release in the US being imminent, is anyone else considering returning their Xoom WiFi? Honestly, the $200 savings on the Transformer is difficult to pass up. I love my Xoom and it's hackability so... apart from a few other small differences like weight savings, loss of the barometer and magnetometer, PV vs IPS panels, and an increase in overall girth, what's stopping some of you from returning your Xooms (provided of course you had the option to return it, thx Costco!)?

Help me back from the ledge!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hautkarl View Post
    With the Transformer's release in the US being imminent, is anyone else considering returning their Xoom WiFi? Honestly, the $200 savings on the Transformer is difficult to pass up. I love my Xoom and it's hackability so... apart from a few other small differences like weight savings, loss of the barometer and magnetometer, PV vs IPS panels, and an increase in overall girth, what's stopping some of you from returning your Xooms (provided of course you had the option to return it, thx Costco!)?

There have been other threads of a similar subject lately. First, I would expect anyone spending $600 (or more in the case of the 3G) would know what they are buying and make a decision based on research beforehand. Two, it is no secret that other models were to follow in addition to some future improved versions of the current ones. That said, why did you purchase the Xoom to begin with? Is it suddenly not satisfying your requirements with the price announcement of the Transformer? It is no surprise that Costco changed their return policy. Keep it and enjoy it.
    Xoom 4G LTE and I HATE the typing lag on this forum!

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by Hautkarl View Post

I'm not trying to get you to return your Xoom, I think it's awesome. The Transformer is hackable also and has already been rooted by Paul Obrien, MoDaCo.
    ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Hacked Even Before the US Release
    Last edited by ggrant3876; 04-14-2011 at 07:14 PM.

Note 8
    Galaxy S8 Plus
    Nexus 6 - PureNexus

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Twitter
    FloydianJosh
    Both are very nice tablets... before you return the zoom I suggest you wait until more reviews are done on the Eee Pad.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Well you only get 16gb for $200 less so apples to apples (32gb) the difference is only $100. I would consider the Asus it if I haven't bought anything yet but I won't return the Xoom and accessories just to swap. Of course I don't like returning stuff unless there is something wrong with it as a general rule either.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh, sorry! Costco still has a 90 day return policy so you might have misunderstood what I wrote. For me, the screen quality on the Xoom is good but I hear, and now read in the review below, that the Transformer's screen looks even better. I can see the lower quarter inch of the Xoom's screen while in landscape is dull from left to right and is quite evident when reading and viewing light colored web pages. Anyone else experience this?

Good to know the Asus is already hacked! For me, having 16GB would not be much of an issue considering both tablets are expandable using the SD slot but a valid point, indeed.

I'll definitely have to go hands-on with the Asus and hold the two side by side to judge them properly.

Here's a decent review I read today on the Asus:
    ASUS Eee Pad Transformer (UK edition) review -- Engadget

Thanks for the input!

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    You know, for those of us that are greedy.....

Do we HAVE to return our Xoom to get a Transformer?? lol

I'm thinking about it..... REALLY hard lol
    Droid 1 - Rooted - Project Elite Gingerbread
    HTC Thunderbolt - Rooted - Custom Rom Coming Soon
    Xoom - Rooted - Tiamat Kernel - Tiamat Rom

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I would wait a while.

A keyboard would be nice, and the extra battery life is nice, But.. those are only Pro's if you find yourself constantly typing and constantly running out of battery life. You can get a Bluetooth keyboard if you really need one.

You gain a mouse with the Transformer.. but, I think that will be useless, unless you do a lot of remote desktoping.

I would say let Honeycomb and apps develop a bit more before jumping ship. We still have not seen the extend of what our Xooms are capable of yet.
    dsolovey likes this.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I may get one here to test on; from what I've seen from Honeycomb so far I can't be certain that Honeycomb on one device will be the same experience on another. It's certainly not that way with Android phones, where simple differences like that between 2.1 and 2.2 have major implications for content developers.

Looks like a really neat device; lighter than the Xoom (minus keyboard), potentially better screen - we'll have to see, but the reviews so far are strong - and I like the apps Asus includes with it. Their myReader app is going to be exclusive to the tablet and it allows for direct importing of non-DRM ebooks. They also have a really nice DNLA client out of the box.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    The screen looks a whole lot better on the asus.
    Cant beat a pure google honeycomb though.

Will be a hard choice.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads