• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Playbook vs Xoom

This is a discussion on Playbook vs Xoom within the Motorola Xoom vs. Others forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Originally Posted by Quicksilver7714 There was a demo at BB when I was there last Friday I was messed up or something because I tried ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Playbook vs Xoom

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver7714 View Post
    There was a demo at BB when I was there last Friday I was messed up or something because I tried every known option to get to a home screen and I could not find one. My experience was very poor to say the least.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    The border around the screen is touch-based too. Swipe from bottom border upwards to bring up the app menu

IMG_00000020-300x175.jpg

Swipe from top bar down to bring up the current app menu

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Twitter
    @AZsteelman
    Nice review, and very unbiased. I picked up a Playbook yesterday to test for our company. So far its doing what its supposed to, but its not beating the Xoom, in my humble opinion. There are a lot of issues w it, no doubt. It will be fine, just not gonna be for me unless the company issues them - and they just might. It would be good for travelers.

I'll keep it until the weekend before it goes back.
    dvdcatalyst likes this.

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by AZsteelman View Post
    Nice review, and very unbiased. I picked up a Playbook yesterday to test for our company. So far its doing what its supposed to, but its not beating the Xoom, in my humble opinion. There are a lot of issues w it, no doubt. It will be fine, just not gonna be for me unless the company issues them - and they just might. It would be good for travelers.

I'll keep it until the weekend before it goes back.
    Thanks

When it comes to gadgets, I just look at what I use it for, and don't really get stuck on the things I don't use.

Both the Xoom and the Playbook have seen more bad reviews than good ones, but both have their advantages. The thing is, they are always compared to the iPad, but they seem to ignore the fact that the iPad had issues too when it came out.
    iPad2 with just a different processor and 2 crappy cameras as an update? I had an iPad2 on my list this year, but after watching the keynote for release, I felt like I did after watching Indiana Jones 4.

I'm not sure about the Playbook yet, but the one thing I like the most about it is QNX. Years ago, I played with it a bit, and ever since it has always intrigued me. With Blackberry using QNX as an OS for the Playbook, I think they actually placed themselves quite a bit ahead of Windows Phone 7, and are quite close to Android and iOS in terms of optimized performance and capabilities. But, just like pretty much everything else released this year, it is half-finished.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Updates for the playook would be my concern
    Moto DX, D2 global and Xoom!

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Nice review man! I love when people give unbiased reviews for people.

Quote Originally Posted by sphen22 View Post
    agreed
    HTC Evo 4G: MIUI 1.4.22 / Tiamat 3.3.8
    Motorola Xoom Wifi: HC3.1 / TDR OC Kernel

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by sphen22 View Post
    With Blackberry only having the Playbook tablet to deal with, I'm not too worried about updates to be honest.
    Due to the fact that they are more "business"-oriented, they have a reputation to keep up, so dropping the ball on that would hurt their corporate sales.

If you look at the consumer market, Android phones generally get updates maybe twice in a lifetime. The Fascinate just got Froyo, like a year after it actually came out. For others, it takes mods like Cyanogen in order to be able to update your phone to a newer Android version.
    With companies that produce 20-50 different devices, the update cycle is quite different from companies that only have to deal with maybe 1 or 2, with the exception of companies like Barnes & Noble, which move to a new market segment completely and just don't have the in-house experience to back it up properly. I think they finally got a moderator on their NOOK forums after 4 months without one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Ads