• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ipad2 kills xoom in graphics benchmark

This is a discussion on ipad2 kills xoom in graphics benchmark within the Motorola Xoom vs. Others forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; There won't be one. Keiichi25 has his number and 5thElement knows it, so he slithers away as quietly as possible....

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: ipad2 kills xoom in graphics benchmark

Agent Xoom
    Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    There won't be one. Keiichi25 has his number and 5thElement knows it, so he slithers away as quietly as possible.
    kk1000 likes this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    I laugh everytime I see a benchmark. There are so many different variables that determine a benchmark vs benchmark. Most are highly biased one way or the other. In no way, shape,or form will it ever determine which device I purchase. I'm a hands on kinda Guy when it comes to my decisions.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Benchmarks are always highly subjective, and people use them to justify certain things. Now on the flipside, I have seen various GPU benchmarks, where they try to show improvements in FPS, but generally, the improvements are minor at certain screen sizes for different programs. The rational has been generally explained as being a limitation of the coding which at certain screen resolutions, the improvement will only go so far due to the GPU. However, test conditions also don't always match up with reality for users as each user will have different setups, as far as memory, processor and OS/Mem usage.

In the Xoom case, while everyone should be on a 'level' or baseline situation, as should the iPad and other devices, the general results will vary for user to user again when it comes down to the number of apps and services in use. The problem with arguments with benchmarking tablets is that you assume that it is 100% true that everyone will get the expectant results. But again, you are comparing apples to oranges when you don't necessarily load it down with everything and even if you try to go baseline, where you only run the barest minimal, one system may be running essentials the other does not that you can not control, which will affect how those benchmarks work.

And while benchmarks are suppose to give you an idea of how well something is suppose to perform, again, some benchmarks are based on the system and what is setup on it. And without being able to set up a system purely on that level and NOT add anything more to it, the expected outcome will still vary to a degree in live conditions. That is why 'experimental data' in a controlled environment is always subject to change in a live environment.

Technician X
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 5thElement View Post
    Too funny!!! You dont get it and I will show you why your argument is an utter failure.

Dungeon Defenders FULLY utilizes the Tegra 2 GPU for hardware 3D acceleration yet it simply is not powerful enough to provide adequate FPS during many scenes. This is why your argument fails. I also found it laughable when you stated that not all GPUs render OpenGl at the same pace. Well du of course not, some GPU are more powerful than others, EXACTLY like the GPU in the xoom vs the GPU in an ipad2. If a GPU is too slow to render openGL fast enough for smooth frame rates then its the fault of the GPU design.

Its ALL about the GPU hardware when rendering games like dungeon defenders becuase games like dungeon defender FULL utilizes the GPU for acceleration. yet the GPU in the tegra 2 STILL can not provide enough FPS in many many parts of the game.

Owned.
    Anyone seen the live action Flintstones movie? Its so funny I think I'm gunna watch it today.

- upon remembering his hand was bitten off by a seal and replaced with a hook - "I'm a monster!" - Buster Bluthe

Agent Xoom
    Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Hmmm ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Apparently, your definition of "fully utilizes" is not only incorrect, but distorted beyond all points of reality.

Dungeon Defenders (Video + Requirements) - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Note the following:

Basic Requirements:
    512 MB RAM GPU capable of OpenGL ES 2.0

Android 2.1 Eclair
    800 Mhz CPU or greater recommended
    SD card with at least 400 MB free storage

Specifically Tested Compatibility List:
    All Tegra 2 Based Devices: Fully Compatible
    Nexus S: Fully Compatible
    Samsung Galaxy Tab: Fully Compatible
    Samsung Galaxy based Cell Phones: Fully Compatible on all with 100 MB RAM free
    Droid 2: Fully Compatible
    Droid X: Fully Compatible
    HTC Evo 4G: Fully Compatible
    HTC Incredible: Fully Compatible
    myTouch 4G: Mostly compatible, have some occasional stability issue
    T-Mobile G2: Fully compatible
    Dell Streak: Fully compatible
    HTC Desire: Fully compatible
    Nexus One: Fully compatible
    This is the game you cited... This states dealing with OpenGL and states FULLY COMPATIBLE. Compatible does not mean, utilizes, nor does it mean it takes full advantage of the GPU. It means it will not make the GPU error out or show issues.

You will also notice, the game is suppose to support MULTIPLE DEVICES. A Multi-Platform environment will require not being having the code heavy to one specific GPU Processor, as you will note the several other android devices listed as well as listing Tegra 2 capable devices. Which means that said code will not be 100% optimize for the Tegra and will have to brute force some of it through the processor... JUST LIKE THE PC.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Twitter
    XoomForum
    If we can't have a friendly and respectful discussion without arguement and the need to harshly prove someone else wrong then we will have no discussion at all -

Thread Closed -

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Remove Ads

Ads