• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Lost my wi-fi connection

This is a discussion on Lost my wi-fi connection within the Motorola Xoom WiFi General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom WiFi Only Forum category; I have the wi-fi only 32G Xoom (4.0.3, build IML77). It has worked fine with my home D-Link wireless router. Has. I changed channels on ...

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ggrant3876

Thread: Lost my wi-fi connection

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Lost my wi-fi connection

I have the wi-fi only 32G Xoom (4.0.3, build IML77). It has worked fine with my home D-Link wireless router. Has. I changed channels on the router, re-set the password for WEP encryption, it works fine with my laptop wifi, but using the tablet is now kaput. I open wifi settings, turn wifi on, click SCAN, and it finds the router quickly, shows full strength on meter icon (it should; sitting next to it!), click CONNECT, put in new password, and: "obtaining IP address (shows full strength meter icon)", then "Saved, secured with WEP (shows full strength meter icon)", then inexplicably goes back to "Obtaining IP address" with a 1-bar signal stregth on meter icon, then it just keeps alternating with those two messages, never stops. With the occasional "Avoided poor internet connection" message while showing a full-strength meter icon. I did the "Forget" route a couple of times and started from scratch, turned wifi off and back on, turned tablet off/on, re-set router and modems (using power off method) [Sigh] Any idea what's possibly going on? Could it be a password issue (not admitting any mistakes on my part. Yet.) What am I missing? Seems these things ought to have built-in Help section, possibly titled "How to use this here thing". Appreciate any and all help. If there is a website that can help me troubleshoot, that, too, would be appreciated. I figured, based on past experience, that forums are better than any manuals that come with your devices. Oh, wait, the Xoom comes with practically NOTHING, you have to be a device engineer to know what you're doing. My rant over. Your help welcome! TIA

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by katycoachswim View Post
    I have the wi-fi only 32G Xoom (4.0.3, build IML77). It has worked fine with my home D-Link wireless router. Has. I changed channels on the router, re-set the password for WEP encryption, it works fine with my laptop wifi, but using the tablet is now kaput. I open wifi settings, turn wifi on, click SCAN, and it finds the router quickly, shows full strength on meter icon (it should; sitting next to it!), click CONNECT, put in new password, and: "obtaining IP address (shows full strength meter icon)", then "Saved, secured with WEP (shows full strength meter icon)", then inexplicably goes back to "Obtaining IP address" with a 1-bar signal stregth on meter icon, then it just keeps alternating with those two messages, never stops. With the occasional "Avoided poor internet connection" message while showing a full-strength meter icon. I did the "Forget" route a couple of times and started from scratch, turned wifi off and back on, turned tablet off/on, re-set router and modems (using power off method) [Sigh] Any idea what's possibly going on? Could it be a password issue (not admitting any mistakes on my part. Yet.) What am I missing? Seems these things ought to have built-in Help section, possibly titled "How to use this here thing". Appreciate any and all help. If there is a website that can help me troubleshoot, that, too, would be appreciated. I figured, based on past experience, that forums are better than any manuals that come with your devices. Oh, wait, the Xoom comes with practically NOTHING, you have to be a device engineer to know what you're doing. My rant over. Your help welcome! TIA
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. You've tried everything on your end but two other things you might try. Firs try a soft reboot of the xoom, press and hold the power button and the volume up button together until the Xoom starts to reboot, then release them both, see if that helps. You've restarted your router but I'd try a reset too, there's usually a pin hole in the back to reset it.

Note 3 - DARTHSTALKER NOTE3 ☆ | VERSiON 7
    LG-G3 Rooted TWRP'ed
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

error message

Quote Originally Posted by ggrant3876 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. You've tried everything on your end but two other things you might try. Firs try a soft reboot of the xoom, press and hold the power button and the volume up button together until the Xoom starts to reboot, then release them both, see if that helps. You've restarted your router but I'd try a reset too, there's usually a pin hole in the back to reset it.
    Thanks, I may have to try that, but I think it is something I am doing or not doing with the tablet. If an incorrect pw is entered for signing into a wifi source, would there be an error message? Seems like everything else requiring a pw tells you when you have entered an incorrect pw.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    hi katycoachswim,
    No an incorrect pw would not give an error message. An incorrect password would do exactly what you tablet is doing.
    Regards,
    bobj

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

problem solved!

The soft reboot was not it. I got a firmware upgrade on the DLink website (can't believe this router is so OLD!), from 1.20 to 1.23, ran the setup wizard, set the pw to EXACTLY what is was before, and as the musician would say, VIOLA! Everything is cool, just VERY frustrating working through it. The folks that design and write manuals and help sections need to REALIZE and ADJUST to the fact that most consumers are not engineers or know anything more than where the on-off switch/button is, and even THAT can be challenging to some.

Thanks for your response, I'm glad your suggestions led me to the solution!

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobj View Post
    hi katycoachswim,
    No an incorrect pw would not give an error message. An incorrect password would do exactly what you tablet is doing.
    Regards,
    bobj
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us.
    Bobj likes this.

LG-G3 Rooted TWRP'ed
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by katycoachswim View Post
    The soft reboot was not it. I got a firmware upgrade on the DLink website (can't believe this router is so OLD!), from 1.20 to 1.23, ran the setup wizard, set the pw to EXACTLY what is was before, and as the musician would say, VIOLA! Everything is cool, just VERY frustrating working through it. The folks that design and write manuals and help sections need to REALIZE and ADJUST to the fact that most consumers are not engineers or know anything more than where the on-off switch/button is, and even THAT can be challenging to some.

Thanks for your response, I'm glad your suggestions led me to the solution!
    Glad you got it fixed and sorry I didn't think about the software update on the routers. There's so many different things it could have been.

LG-G3 Rooted TWRP'ed
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us.
    thanks for the welcome

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    727 times
    Twitter
    It's a bird
    Welcome to the forum guys
    Interesting topic and input.

I could learn something here

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I bought the xoom early this year, got it set up and running. It is working great until just a few weeks ago. I lost wifi connection due to unable to obtain IP address (same issues as Katy). I did reset the tablet to "factory default settings". When I got back on, tried to set-up my wifi, still the same problem - strong signal for WPA but poor signal to IP address which led to not being able to obtain the address. I call Motorolla support, the advice I got was to try to connect from a different place like McDonald's, if I can connect then my problem is my router not the tablet. But I have another android tablet which connects perfectly fine.

Can anyone help me with this problem? I have third tablet (Blackberry) which also has the same problem.

Ads