• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

GPS WiFi ?

This is a discussion on GPS WiFi ? within the Motorola Xoom WiFi General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Xoom WiFi Only Forum category; I have seen where the Xoom does offer GPS on a wireless connection. I'm wondering if you could use your I.E. WiFi Tethered Droid X ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: GPS WiFi ?

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times

GPS WiFi ?

I have seen where the Xoom does offer GPS on a wireless connection.
    I'm wondering if you could use your I.E. WiFi Tethered Droid X and then launch a GPS NAV App. on the Xoom....would it work?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Technician X
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    GPS does not require use of wifi. GPS gets its info from satellites . The maps are what is the problem those need to load. But Google maps caches the tiles if you load them ahead of time. For instance if you're going to navigate start the navigation at home with wifi and it will load the correct tiles then you're good to go. No wifi and your maps will still be cached

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    wsw-wyatt-earp likes this.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I see. Thanks for the info!

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Actually was able to tether my Xoom via my Droid X. Then run GPS Nav on the Xoom and it worked flawless. Disconnected WifFi Tether and lost my Nav. Pretty Awesome!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Xoom WiFi - Stock until something Amazzzzzzzzing comes out. - The Mods are Sweet...but not for me right now.
    Droid X = CyanogenMod 7 w/Current Nightlies.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Tethering from a droid1 via bluetooth works great! I wonder if we can add the 4G card at a later date to the wireless xoom... hmm...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Are you saying that if I set up a trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles sitting here with an active WiFi, that I can then use the GPS maps and/or Nav function on the actual trip with no WiFi available on the road?

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goggins View Post
    Are you saying that if I set up a trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles sitting here with an active WiFi, that I can then use the GPS maps and/or Nav function on the actual trip with no WiFi available on the road?
    Correct

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowRam View Post
    Correct
    Will the Nav actually "talk" turn-by-turn without a wifi after i loaded in an active wifi?

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Not sure what you mean by "loaded in an active wifi" but to answer your question: Yes. It will work. As long as you have pre-loaded all of the needed map tiles.

GPS doesn't use wifi. It's independent. However, Google maps (and Nav) DOES use wifi to download all the maps. If you have all the maps cached, by scrolling through your entire route beforehand at the proper zoom level, and provided your cache is big enough, it will work.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cat2115 View Post
    Will the Nav actually "talk" turn-by-turn without a wifi after i loaded in an active wifi?
    I did a test after getting my wifi Xoom and loaded my driving directions before leaving work and Navigation voice worked great - except I switched to another app and when I came back to Navigation she'd lost her way. I was driving so couldn't fiddle with it much, it might have been recoverable but can't be sure, and if it was critical I would've easily tethered to my Pre 2, but thought it was worth mentioning as a potential gotcha.

Clarice

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Ads