• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Gps issues

This is a discussion on Gps issues within the Motorola Xoom WiFi Tablet Help forums, part of the Motorola Xoom WiFi Only Forum category; OK have wifi usa xoom running the latest rom n kernals. It doesn't matter if I have GPS enabled or not my location is always ...

Thread: Gps issues

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Twitter
    moosc

Gps issues

OK have wifi usa xoom running the latest rom n kernals. It doesn't matter if I have GPS enabled or not my location is always wrong. Used gps fix shows I'm connected to gps satellites. Does the xoom have a dedicated gps reciver or is working of wifi points?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    AFAIK, the Xoom does not have a didicated GPS chipset for unaided navigation... take a look at this short thread and specifically post number 9 where I discuss this very situation with information from Motorola and a GPS specialty store.

I am seriously considering an external GPS sensor to augment the capabilities of the Xoom. BTW, can you provide a link or the exact name of the 'gps fix' app you use to see the info regarding satallites?

Also what navigation software are you using?

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Twitter
    moosc
    Its GPS test app. It shows all GPS it sees. Check out "GPS Test" https://market.android.com/details?i...tcross.gpstest

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Twitter
    moosc
    Well that's messed up. So do we know if a dedicated reciever works? Guess something ill look into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicoaster View Post
    AFAIK, the Xoom does not have a didicated GPS chipset for unaided navigation... take a look at this short thread and specifically post number 9 where I discuss this very situation with information from Motorola and a GPS specialty store.

I am seriously considering an external GPS sensor to augment the capabilities of the Xoom. BTW, can you provide a link or the exact name of the 'gps fix' app you use to see the info regarding satallites?

Also what navigation software are you using?

Sent from my DROID RAYZR using Tapatalk

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    sauzman
    I'm running the Xoom 3g/4g and since upgrading to Moray with the rogue kernel I'm noticing the same behavior with my navigation. I also use Endomondo when I work out as my distance and calorie log. This app tracks me through gps and shows my exact path and distance I ran on a map. I've noticed that Endomondo tracks my distance and maps it perfectly every time so I'm thinking it's a glitch with the maps and navigation app. If a fix is found please share asap. Aside from that my Xoom rocks!!!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    As far as I can see my Xoom does have a real GPS receiver. It detects the GPS sattelites OK and I get the correct lat/long. The "assisted" term in the product info confused me as well, but I think it means that the GPS is corrected by knowledge of WIFI signals. It does not seem to have WAAS correction unlik many of the newer GPS devices.

In addition, the Xoom seems to have a compass. I have checked it against my boat's compass and it looks pretty close.

Agent Xoom
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Twitter
    Hate It
    Pretty sure my Xoom has a GPS receiver, using the GPS Status application, it shows me which satellites I have reception from, think its lying?
    Adios XOOM it has been, well an experience
    iMac i5 OS 10.x

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Its GPS test app. It shows all GPS it sees. Check out "GPS Test" https://market.android.com/details?i...tcross.gpstest

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    I installed a GPS Test app and then turned off the wifi connection, Google maps seemed to find me and the GPS app showed 8/10 sats with an accuracy down to 4m... So although the information on the Motorola site seems a bit missleading the Xoom does have sat reception capability. I do know that turning on the WiFi does speed up course location which is then fine tuned by the GPS.

I think that the addtion of a external GPS units may improve accuracy and location time but at this point I have not heard back from Navigon or CoPilot as to if their apps will utilize the external GPS sensor. As soon as I hear back from them I will post the answers.

For now I think I may install one of the above navigation apps and try it with the internal chipset and see how well they work.

Remove Ads

Ads