• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Wi Fi goes in and out constantly for no reason

This is a discussion on Wi Fi goes in and out constantly for no reason within the Motorola Xoom WiFi Tablet Help forums, part of the Motorola Xoom WiFi Only Forum category; Just got my Xoom and it worked great for a day. Now, for no reason the wifi is there and then it isn't. I go ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Wi Fi goes in and out constantly for no reason

Just got my Xoom and it worked great for a day. Now, for no reason the wifi is there and then it isn't. I go to change to static and I cannot save it and once I leave it immediately goes back to the DHCP. I had a xoom a few months ago and never had a problem, sold it as I did not use it much, but decided I did you it more than I thought so bought another. I had the same router at the time so I am lost on what to do. I reset the xoom and it works again for a while. Any suggestions??? Should I set it back to factory?? Is it the new Ice Cream Sandwich update??? New much help.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by brendcon View Post
    Just got my Xoom and it worked great for a day. Now, for no reason the wifi is there and then it isn't. I go to change to static and I cannot save it and once I leave it immediately goes back to the DHCP. I had a xoom a few months ago and never had a problem, sold it as I did not use it much, but decided I did you it more than I thought so bought another. I had the same router at the time so I am lost on what to do. I reset the xoom and it works again for a while. Any suggestions??? Should I set it back to factory?? Is it the new Ice Cream Sandwich update??? New much help.
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us. There's been quite a few members having problems with ICS and wifi and haven't seen a perfect fix yet. This was posted by one of our members gman.

If you are running 802.11n and encryption the standard says you have to be running WPA2/AES. If you run anything other than that under the "official" n standard the wifi units are required to fall back to slower speeds. Usually that means falling back to b or g. Radio won't say its now running b or g, but it will be. Some AP allow dual enabling WPA and WPA2/AES at same time, which is also against the official N standard. So running anything other that WPA2/AES or open on 802.11n final will kill your throughput.

If all possible configure AP to be "g+n" or "n" only when running 802.11n on 2.4ghz as just one device even in range of your AP (at your neighbors house for example) is enough to kill your N throughput as your AP will respond in B mode. If you need B at your house, and have to have it then you either need to get a second Access point or configure your access point as "b+g" and not run "N" at all at 2.4ghz.

On 2.4ghz you should always be in 20mhz mode and not 20/40 or 40 mhz mode. As 40mhz mode in 2.4ghz actually tries to use 3/4 of the entire spectrum for 2.4ghz wifi. And unless you can't hear ANY other accesspoints at all around your house, enabling 40mhz in 2.4ghz will interfere with your neighbors wifi and kill your throughput. Some radios refer to this as channel bonding or speed limiting. On netgear AP's to disable channel bonding you need to set max speed on 2.4ghz as "145mps or less" on other brands you might find a box that says to enable/disable channel bonding. For those you need it set to disabled.

On 5ghz you can run 40mhz mode and run "A+N" mode without much problems. As there usually is enough spectrum in 5ghz to allow it. For N to work though you still are bound by 802.11n requirement for WPA2/AES or open though to get any kind of throughput.

If your accesspoint has QoS settings in it makes sure that you have WMM enabled. The radio in the Xoom will use WMM to prioritize traffic for streaming video and large downloads and will help manage bandwidth if you have multiple wifi devices in the household.

To summarize recommended settings:
    2.4ghz
    WPA2/AES
    G+N or N only mode
    20mhz channels
    WMM Enabled

5ghz
    WPA2/AES
    A+N or N only Mode
    40mhz channels
    WMM Enabled

Note 3 - PAC-man 4.4.4
    LG-G3 Rooted TWRP'ed
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, I have a netgear wireless network and my computer says its running WPA2-PSK with radio type 802.11n. Is this wrong? If so, how do I change it. On the xoom, when it says no connection--you can see all the possible wireless connections disappear--so in other words, as the connection is coming in and out--not only am I losing connection but all possible neighbor connections are going off the xoom--3 seconds later they are all back---3 seconds later all gone---and so on.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, I have a netgear wireless network and my computer says its running WPA2-PSK with radio type 802.11n. Is this wrong? If so, how do I change it. On the xoom, when it says no connection--you can see all the possible wireless connections disappear--so in other words, as the connection is coming in and out--not only am I losing connection but all possible neighbor connections are going off the xoom--3 seconds later they are all back---3 seconds later all gone---and so on.
    The only 2 variable that are different from this xoom and the one I had 3 months ago is the update and the charging dock. Will changing any of the wireless network settings effect any of my 4 laptops or blue ray player? If the fix is not easy, this xoom will be on ebay and I will have an ipad 2 this week. People like simple plug and play and dealing with radio types is not what the average user wants. So, and simple help would be greatly appreciated as I would love to keep the one I got.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    You need to log into your router to make the changes, try a different channel and even reset your router or see if your router has a software update.

Note 3 - PAC-man 4.4.4
    LG-G3 Rooted TWRP'ed
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had a netgear n300 and was told by someone I needed a faster, better router. I went to Best Buy and purchased netgear n600 and this solved my problem(s).... Thanks for the help

Ads