Xoom WiFi doesn't / won't go into sleep mode anymore.
Hey all! Excellent forum here, glad to have found it!
I've been a very happy owner of my Xoom WiFi since May 2011. Over the last month though, problems have started to crop up. I think I can point my finger towards the update to Android 3.2.
What's happening is that pressing power button does not work anymore. Over the last two weeks, it would sometimes restart /reboot the Xoom instead of going into sleep mode. Now (since about two hours ago) it simply does not sleep, nor shutdown at all. Pressing the power button causes the screen to flicker and the device to hard-reset. This sucks. Am writing here to the forum in hopes that I don't need to RMA...
Steps taken to try and rectify (with no effect):
Doing all the steps above had no effect. Exactly the same problem exists. I try to use the power button to either enter into sleep mode or to shut down the Xoom and it simply restarts.
- Uninstalled all third party apps and restarted.
- Uninstalled all Xoom native app updates and restarted.
- Peformed a hard reboot (Power button + Volume Up).
- Did the Android Recovery thing - restarted > pressed Volume Down till "... Recovery" was shown > pressed Volume Up > waited through Android Recovery (robot with triangle showed with "!" on chest)... did this TWICE
- Beat my head against a wall till... sorry, no haven't done that yet
- Did full factory reset. Yeah, woulda done the "beat head against wall" thing if it had a chance of working instead of losing all my settings and data... anyhow, that didn't work either...
- Tried restarting with my WiFi turned off
- Tried assigning the WiFi a static IP
So, I really, really hope that someone out there has a non-RMA solution!
Thanks all for your help in advance! And thanks to the moderator/maintainer of the forum for making it available!
02-08-2012 07:39 PM
Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us. Haven't heard of that problem, but if you've done a factory reset and tried a soft reboot the only thing I can think of is a rogue app, might even be an app from the android market.
Originally Posted by mumbaindude
Nexus 4 - CyanMod 10.1
SGS-II - Rooted - Jedi Mind Trick VX3
Samsung Note II - Jedi Master 13
Motorola Xoom - WiFi - Rooted - EOS 4.2.1 Nightlies
I have this problem since the ICS download. I hoped it would be fixed with the 4.04 update. Still have it. Only a full reboot fixes it.
Originally Posted by ggrant3876
Basic wifi connections are:
Work - wifi G - EAP connection
Home - wifi n (2.4) WPA/WPA2 PSK
Connecting at work and then going home, the Xoom will auto connect fine. It is when I then go to work, the wifi seems to be offline. At that point, nothing is in range and nothing connects. I have tried to turn off wifi and then turn it back on, but that does nothing. Only a reboot fixes it.