• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cant' connect to wifi - and Xoom won't let me set it to static IP

This is a discussion on Cant' connect to wifi - and Xoom won't let me set it to static IP within the Motorola Xoom WiFi Tablet Help forums, part of the Motorola Xoom WiFi Only Forum category; Hi, hope someone can help. My Xoom was working great on my network, then I had to send the Xoom back b/c of h/ware problems. ...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cant' connect to wifi - and Xoom won't let me set it to static IP

Hi, hope someone can help. My Xoom was working great on my network, then I had to send the Xoom back b/c of h/ware problems. Now I have it back, restored my apps etc., but I can't connect to my home wifi network.

Running android 4.0.4. I go to Settings, Wifi, Modify, to set a static IP address but....I can't "save" the changes! Button grayed out. BTW this is a Verizon-branded Xoom.

Rebooted router, rebooted Xoom. Wanted to follow suggestion in another post to set to static IP. Is this one of Verizon's tricks to get me to use more data? It works fine on the Verizon mobile network.

I guess I'll call Verizon, but thought someone else may have had this problem too.
    thanks!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by nojudge2000 View Post
    Hi, hope someone can help. My Xoom was working great on my network, then I had to send the Xoom back b/c of h/ware problems. Now I have it back, restored my apps etc., but I can't connect to my home wifi network.

Running android 4.0.4. I go to Settings, Wifi, Modify, to set a static IP address but....I can't "save" the changes! Button grayed out. BTW this is a Verizon-branded Xoom.

Rebooted router, rebooted Xoom. Wanted to follow suggestion in another post to set to static IP. Is this one of Verizon's tricks to get me to use more data? It works fine on the Verizon mobile network.

I guess I'll call Verizon, but thought someone else may have had this problem too.
    thanks!
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. This was written by one of our members, gman, on another thread - see if it helps.

If you are running 802.11n on your router you have to run WPA2/AES. If you run WPA or WPA2/TKIP the xoom will drop will try to drop back to 802.11b/g per the standard. Enabling WEP on 802.11n router basically disables 802.11n as it blocks out all the higher transfer rates on compliant routers. Most problems are caused by people who have draft N routers at home that allow combinations of settings that aren't valid under final N spec. As router will try to negotiate higher transfer rates that a compliant device will refuse to use under the standard which causes signal drop outs for compliant devices. Best settings for 2.4ghz for max compliance is 802.11n, WPA2/AES, 20Mhz channels, WMM Enabled. For highest throughput run pure N mode and not B+G+N mode or run G+N mode on your router.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I checked (what an informative post! thanks) --- yep, I'm on WPA2 AES, 802.11n. Can you think of something else to try? This is definitely on the right track b/c the Xoom does see my network. grrr. thanks.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by nojudge2000 View Post
    I checked (what an informative post! thanks) --- yep, I'm on WPA2 AES, 802.11n. Can you think of something else to try? This is definitely on the right track b/c the Xoom does see my network. grrr. thanks.
    We had some members that had sucess when they checked and updated their routers software. Can it connect to wifi away from your home?

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I thought I had the same problem too. Turned out that the net mask value wasn't set even though it looks like it is. The digits that seem to be in the net mask field are a recommended value and are 'ghosted' . If you select the field and enter the value (usually 24) then see if the Save button is enabled. If that isn't the cure then maybe another field has the same issue.
    Annoying signature, but not as annoying as yours

Remove Ads

Ads