Very warm brick
Last night my Xoom wifi was working fine. This morning, it isn't.
1. Stuck at lock screen, and the screen is unresponsive.
2. This persists after a "hard reboot" - power + volume up
3. Whether charging or not, the lower bevel (the one opposite the "Motorola" text) is VERY hot. I've had it sitting on a laptop cooler all morning, and it is still warm, and if I take it off the cooler, it gets hot, fast.
4. Charging seems really slow. For some odd reason, it was at 7% this morning, from ~90% last night when I left it. After better than three hours on the charger, it was at 57% (and stupid hot).
5. When trying the manual factory reset, I get stuck at either "enabling fastboot (something or other)" or "Starting RSD protocol support 0" - and I can get no further.
6. Power consumption: After less than an hour of fooling around with it, it's gone from 57% to 0%
This is a stock, non rooted Xoom.
With the heat issue, I've pretty much decided the thing needs replacement. My problem is, I am unable to do the soft or hard factory reset. Is there any other way to clean my data off it before handing it back to who knows who at Motorola?
04-09-2011 02:22 PM
This sounds like you have a defective model, I would take it back to your purchase place -
Edit: I see you already came to that conclusion...did you buy it from Moto direct ?
Costco. Very easy to return; I'd just hoped to return it sans data.
yup sounds like a bricked unit. return it and get yourself a new one
That once happend to one of my computers! it set off every smoke detector in the house! I think the cause was too much porn! LOL
The opinions above are solely those of a 12 year old hacker who has broken into my account, and not those of my employer or any other organization.
Agree with the defective device.
Sent from my Xoom!
In a world of doesn't... Droid does!!!
Posting a quick thx to the forum from my new (fully encrypted) xoom. :-)
Hopefully this ones issue free.
Glad to hear you got a new Xoom! Be careful with your new [hopefully cold] baby.
I was thinking about encrypting as well, but it says you have to wipe it to remove the encryption. Not a big deal I guess.