• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Bluetooth tether to a non-smartphone

This is a discussion on Bluetooth tether to a non-smartphone within the Motorola Xoom WiFi Tablet Help forums, part of the Motorola Xoom WiFi Only Forum category; I have Samsung Rogue (SCH-U960) that I use DUN (bluetooth tether) with many devices including Nokia N800 and my Thinkpad T61p. I recently purchased a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By smf723

Thread: Bluetooth tether to a non-smartphone

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Bluetooth tether to a non-smartphone

I have Samsung Rogue (SCH-U960) that I use DUN (bluetooth tether) with many devices including Nokia N800 and my Thinkpad T61p. I recently purchased a Xoom wifi and when I attempt to tether the only options I get under the wrench is to rename and unpair. Has anyone ever been able to do DUN (bluetooth tehering) to work without a smartphone? It's very easy to do with my N800 or any laptop and I know I can do it on an iPad by jail breaking it but I would really like to stick with the Xoom.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

BT-DUN vs. BT-PAN

This is EXACTLY what I want to do as well.

I don't own a smartphone. But I do have a data tethering plan (Phone as Modem) with my carrier and a phone that does it.

This phone, and all other "feature" phones with Bluetooth that support tethering use the Bluetooth Dial Up Networking connect profile.

The tethering profile that Google added to Honeycomb (the version of Android in the Xoom) is called Bluetooth Personal Area Networking.

When you see people demo it (BT-PAN) online, they just "enable" tethering and it works.

With BT-DUN, they have to set up a connection where the tethering device dials a number (#777 for CDMA phones on Verizon and Sprint).

So unless someone comes up with a hack for (or Google decides to add this) Android to support BT-DUN, I think you and I are out of luck on this.

Smartphones have BT-PAN. Feature phones (unless you can find one I haven't seen) all tend to have BT-DUN.

Another solution would be to try and find a feature phone with BT-PAN that your carrier will let you activate. I've only searched hard on my own carrier (Sprint) for this and not found one.

rlowell
    Last edited by rlowell; 04-30-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smf723 View Post
    I have Samsung Rogue (SCH-U960) that I use DUN (bluetooth tether) with many devices including Nokia N800 and my Thinkpad T61p. I recently purchased a Xoom wifi and when I attempt to tether the only options I get under the wrench is to rename and unpair. Has anyone ever been able to do DUN (bluetooth tehering) to work without a smartphone? It's very easy to do with my N800 or any laptop and I know I can do it on an iPad by jail breaking it but I would really like to stick with the Xoom.
    Any luck with xoom and Nokia N8-00
    I have the Xoom WiFi only and Nokia N8-00, will like to tether them to take advantage of my unlimited data

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pagreaves View Post
    Any luck with xoom and Nokia N8-00
    I have the Xoom WiFi only and Nokia N8-00, will like to tether them to take advantage of my unlimited data
    Actually I have the Nokia N800. It's not a phone but actually a small tablet that runs Maemo OS. It came out 2005 and was way ahead of it's time (800 x 480 touch screen, Flash 9 support, Skype, rotating camera, thousands of apps, etc.). All this years before the iPhone was even a glimmer in Steve Jobs head.

From what I read Android doesn't support DUN and it doesn't look like it ever will. In addition Google is cracking under the pressure from the carriers and has started to ban tethering applications so even if you have a PAN phone it doesn't look like that will work much longer.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Got ya.
    Google shouldn't crack under the carriers BS, especially when folks like me purchased the WiFi only unit and should be intitle to do what I wish without the influence of the carriers dictating what I can and can't do.

Sick of the corporate monopoly
    without a buyer, their products are worthless

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    I am Rooted with working adhoc... feels good now I can use my Nokia N8 to get on the internet
    man it feels good

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smf723 View Post
    I have tethered Xoom with Nokia 2730 Classic. Works perfectly for me.

I have Honeycomb 3.21
    Last edited by dm146; 11-20-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am tethering my xoom to my pc over bluethoot.

I am using a iogear bluethooth adapter and setting it up to share internet connection. It is working fine for me. Only issue i have is once it is tethered once it will not tether agian untill it is rebooted, the xoom that is. known issue in 3.2.

To have the option to connect to the internet on the xoom i had to set pc up to share connection first then it allowed it.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dm146 View Post
    I have tethered Xoom with Nokia 2730 Classic. Works perfectly for me.

I have Honeycomb 3.21
    How did you set it up? You'd think the Xoom (WiFi) would be able to talk to another Motorola phone with Bluetooth (RAZR v3) but not so far. The phone works fine with a Garmin Nuvi GPS on Bluetooth, but not the Xoom. They see each other, but I get the "paired, not connected" message every time. Just a thought - does the phone actually have to be connected to the Internet for the Xoom to establish a connection (vs. pairing)? Buying an Android smartphone to connect the Xoom to the Internet seems redundant to me, as the smartphone will do almost everything the Xoom will. Totally baffled at this point.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

BlueVPN

I know this thread is really old but I wanted to provide an update since I finally found a solution. Specifically what I was originally trying to do is bluetooth DUN (dial up networking). I was NOT trying to "share" an internet connection via a wireless hotspot from my phone. The advantage of bluetooth DUN is the phone company can't tell the difference between data access from the phone vs. data access via DUN. I get unlimited internet access on my "dumb" phone from Verizon for $10/month (grandfathered plan). If I were to upgrade to a smartphone it would cost me $30/month for 2GB. For most people they don't care about the extra $20/month but I do. Anyway, I finally found a Android app called BlueVPN that provides exactly what I was looking for. It's written by a guy in Italy and it's free. Hope this helps someone else that's a penny pincher.
    duanewillis and cazza like this.

Ads