• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

So who has picked up an XYBoard?

This is a discussion on So who has picked up an XYBoard? within the Motorola XYBoard forums, part of the Motorola XYBoard Forum category; Let us know which one (8.9 or 10) you got and what are your thoughts on it?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: So who has picked up an XYBoard?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer

So who has picked up an XYBoard?

Let us know which one (8.9 or 10) you got and what are your thoughts on it?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have used both extensively. My job allows me to play with all new technology in phones and tablets. I must say they are great. Here is the catch though. Would I trade in my Xoom for a Xyboard? Simply put, no.

Reasons:

Xyboards are well constructed and feel solid just like the Xoom. The screens are just about identical to the xooms in terms of clarity and the 10 inch tab has the same resolution. A 1.3 MP front camera replaced the the 2mp front camera as we know and the quality is basically not much different from my POV. The 8mp rear camera provides a little better quality pictures than the xooms. This is not a huge selling point for me as I would rather use a digital camera or my phone to snap shots than a tablet.... but it is still a nicer feature. I honestly feel the Xyboard is a Xoom with a different housing and a 200mhz bump in processing. Not worth getting rid of my xoom for me. For the more technically inclined people who have overclocked their Xooms, you will be disappointed with the Xyboard. My Xoom at 1.5ghz walks all over the Xyboard. It is way faster in everything. Someone who doesn't have a tab should pick it up, but those with Xooms are not missing much. Had this tablet a Tegra 3....I would be all over it hands down....aahhh 5 cores...On a personal note I am more partial to the Tegra cores than the dual TI Omaps.

Conclusion: The Xyboard is a great tablet in all ways like the xoom, but not a substantial update. Just overclock your Xoom and walk all over the Xyboard. If you do not want to overclock, buy a Xyboard as it still is an awesome piece of hardware.

My 2 Cents
    Droid-Xer likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    Quote Originally Posted by in99flames View Post
    I have used both extensively. My job allows me to play with all new technology in phones and tablets. I must say they are great. Here is the catch though. Would I trade in my Xoom for a Xyboard? Simply put, no.

Reasons:

Xyboards are well constructed and feel solid just like the Xoom. The screens are just about identical to the xooms in terms of clarity and the 10 inch tab has the same resolution. A 1.3 MP front camera replaced the the 2mp front camera as we know and the quality is basically not much different from my POV. The 8mp rear camera provides a little better quality pictures than the xooms. This is not a huge selling point for me as I would rather use a digital camera or my phone to snap shots than a tablet.... but it is still a nicer feature. I honestly feel the Xyboard is a Xoom with a different housing and a 200mhz bump in processing. Not worth getting rid of my xoom for me. For the more technically inclined people who have overclocked their Xooms, you will be disappointed with the Xyboard. My Xoom at 1.5ghz walks all over the Xyboard. It is way faster in everything. Someone who doesn't have a tab should pick it up, but those with Xooms are not missing much. Had this tablet a Tegra 3....I would be all over it hands down....aahhh 5 cores...On a personal note I am more partial to the Tegra cores than the dual TI Omaps.

Conclusion: The Xyboard is a great tablet in all ways like the xoom, but not a substantial update. Just overclock your Xoom and walk all over the Xyboard. If you do not want to overclock, buy a Xyboard as it still is an awesome piece of hardware.

My 2 Cents
    Thanks for sharing your experience with them. I think moto might be hurting themselves by pushing out so many similar devices in such a short amount of time. Hopefully next time they will put out a quad core tab rather than more dual core tabs.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I got mine on Friday, 10.1 64 gig. My first reaction was negative. I also have one of the original Xooms. The new one did not feel as comfortable to hold. I copied one of the Blu-ray movies to the Xyboard that I had ripped and that played beautifully on my Xoom, it would not play on the Xyboard. So I installed the MotoCast software on my computer and setup an account which easily gave me access to any files, music, or videos on my computer. Even though I could not play the video directly from the Xyboard, I could stream it.

My second impression was that the picture and sound were not as good as the Xoom. The sound seemed a little tinny and the picture seemed a little grainy. That was all I had time for on Friday night.

My third impression came on Saturday morning, it seemed to be taking forever for the battery to charge, after being on the charger for about 8 hours it was only 90% charged.

My fourth impression later Saturday morning when I was sampling some music and other videos (streaming from my computer). Within about a 10 minute time frame I had an error message pop up 3 times saying that the sim card had been removed and I would not have network access until it was replaced. The only option I had to get rid of the message was to restart. At this point I was going to call my local Verizon store to see if I could return the blasted thing to them instead of shipping it back.

On Saturday evening I took my wife shopping and decided to take the Xyboard along to test the 4g connection speed. It was during this time that I really started to warm up to it. I did not get any of the error messages that I was getting Saturday morning. I browsed the Internet with the lightening speed of 4g. I had just signed up for a Netflix trial since it was now available for the Xoom, so I tried streaming a movie. I was actually quite impressed at this point with both the picture and sound that I was getting. By the time we left the mall I was becoming quite happy with it.

I am writing this after continuing to use the Xyboard this morning. I believe that I will be keeping it after all. I believe that I am still entitled to a free 4g upgrade on my original Xoom. So now that I have the Xyboard, I believe that I will send it off for the upgrade then attempt to overclock it, something I was hesitant to do before for fear of screwing it up.
    Last edited by dalsei; 12-18-2011 at 05:15 AM.
    Droid-Xer likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2219 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsei View Post
    I got mine on Friday, 10.1 64 gig. My first reaction was negative. I also have one of the original Xooms. The new one did not feel as comfortable to hold. I copied one of the Blu-ray movies to the Xyboard that I had ripped and that played beautifully on my Xoom, it would not play on the Xyboard. So I installed the MotoCast software on my computer and setup an account which easily gave me access to any files, music, or videos on my computer. Even though I could not play the video directly from the Xyboard, I could stream it.

My second impression was that the picture and sound were not as good as the Xoom. The sound seemed a little tinny and the picture seemed a little grainy. That was all I had time for on Friday night.

My third impression came on Saturday morning, it seemed to be taking forever for the battery to charge, after being on the charger for about 8 hours it was only 90% charged.

My fourth impression later Saturday morning when I was sampling some music and other videos (streaming from my computer). Within about a 10 minute time frame I had an error message pop up 3 times saying that the sim card had been removed and I would not have network access until it was replaced. The only option I had to get rid of the message was to restart. At this point I was going to call my local Verizon store to see if I could return the blasted thing to them instead of shipping it back.

On Saturday evening I took my wife shopping and decided to take the Xyboard along to test the 4g connection speed. It was during this time that I really started to warm up to it. I did not get any of the error messages that I was getting Saturday morning. I browsed the Internet with the lightening speed of 4g. I had just signed up for a Netflix trial since it was now available for the Xoom, so I tried streaming a movie. I was actually quite impressed at this point with both the picture and sound that I was getting. By the time we left the mall I was becoming quite happy with it.

I am writing this after continuing to use the Xyboard this morning. I believe that I will be keeping it after all. I believe that I am still entitled to a free 4g upgrade on my original Xoom. So now that I have the Xyboard, I believe that I will send it off for the upgrade then attempt to overclock it, something I was hesitant to do before for fear of screwing it up.
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us and thanks for you personal experiences with the XYBoard.

Nexus 6 - Rooted
    NotePro 12.2 64Gb

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Can anyone offer me a clue as to why the videos (mp4 files ripped from DVDs and Blu-ray disks with DVD Catalyst and Pavtube) play beautifully on my Xoom, but will not play on the Xyboard? However, they stream fine with MotoCast.

Thanks.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I have just bought one as a gift. I've had a 3G 32GB Xoom for several months (I have the FedEx box but haven't sent it in yet), and of course really like it...use it everyday for something, no exaggerating. During Thanksgiving a daughter-in-law and son-in-law used mine a few times. For Christmas I bought her a Xoom 4G from a Verizon store during their $200 special (w/2-yr plan).

Then my wife says my son-in-law would like one, especially since his laptop broke, but 3G/4G Xoom's are getting a little scarce around here (within a reasonable drive). Then saw a Verizon ad, and thought "this Xyboard sure seems an awful lot like the Xoom. Surely this isn't the Xoom 2." Went to the Verizon store again, and no more 4G Xoom's like I got a couple weeks ago at any price, but the Xyboard was available (1 day wait). Haven't tried much on it, and thought it odd that only 1 of the 5 screens had icons on it, but plenty of Apps available on the Apps page to copy onto on the screens. I really like the improved sound switch (I have a real hard time correctly pressing on the Xoom's), but the On/Off is a step backward. It's just difficult to press it in easily, similiar to the Xoom's volume buttons. It shouldn't be too easy to accidentally turn on, but because the Xoom's is indented, it was easy to punch in "only" when you centered your finger.

There's no reason to buy a Xyboard to replace your Xoom. There's not much difference. I don't know why they bothered making it. Maybe they thought with the Droid name they'll sell more. The improvements already mentioned are not much, and another backward step I think, was they eliminated the mass storage mini-SD option. 32Gb minis are around $80 here, -vs- $100 extra to buy the 64 -vs- 32 Xyboard.

That said, I know my son-in-law will really like it.

BTW, one sort-of-bad thing about the Xoom, is I was trying to find a Zagg protection screen for the 4G one I bought, and a backup, and a backup for me, since mine's starting to stay a little dirty in spots, and took 3 days to find one. 3 Best Buys were out, but Staples had 3 of them. I have a feeling they're going to be hard to find soon. The Xoom Family's protection screen is slightly different due to a re-located camera position and something else.
    Last edited by WxXoom; 12-23-2011 at 08:09 PM.
    Dave H. - Fayetteville, GA

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Twitter
    Droid_Xer
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsei View Post
    Can anyone offer me a clue as to why the videos (mp4 files ripped from DVDs and Blu-ray disks with DVD Catalyst and Pavtube) play beautifully on my Xoom, but will not play on the Xyboard? However, they stream fine with MotoCast.

Thanks.
    Get with DVD Catalyst in his forum and see what he he says.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Sounds a bit like when Commodore upped the C64 - nicer plastic case, felt better, found problems, discarded...
    Last edited by tuning4ork; 12-26-2011 at 07:22 PM.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    238 times
    Twitter
    RayHodge02
    Thinking of getting my wife a XY tablet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads