• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Rooting

This is a discussion on Rooting within the New Member Introduction & Site Assistance forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Hey fellas, I am a total n00b with the Xoom. Closest I have is an iPhone that I am sure I do not use to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rooting

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Rooting

Hey fellas,

I am a total n00b with the Xoom. Closest I have is an iPhone that I am sure I do not use to its full potential. I know what rooting is, but what are the advantages of it? Better performance? Better apps available through third party? Waffles? Sandwiches? Ironing my scrubs for work?

I jailbroke my iPhone at one point only to restore it because I didn't see any advantage. Only disadvantage I see to rooting is potentially bricking it. If backed up properly I should be able to restore if the Xoom should brick, correct?

I'm still waiting on my Xoom to come in the mail, but I am already itching to tinker and see what it's all about.
    Xoom 4G LTE

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by surgetek View Post
    Hey fellas,

I am a total n00b with the Xoom. Closest I have is an iPhone that I am sure I do not use to its full potential. I know what rooting is, but what are the advantages of it? Better performance? Better apps available through third party? Waffles? Sandwiches? Ironing my scrubs for work?

I jailbroke my iPhone at one point only to restore it because I didn't see any advantage. Only disadvantage I see to rooting is potentially bricking it. If backed up properly I should be able to restore if the Xoom should brick, correct?

I'm still waiting on my Xoom to come in the mail, but I am already itching to tinker and see what it's all about.
    Here's a thread to read and if you decide to root you'll have support from the forum as you go forward.
    What is Rooting on Android? The Advantages and Disadvantages

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Theme Developer

Member #
    Liked
    290 times
    Twitter
    Bazar6
    ROMs
    1 Submitted
    Themes
    37 Submitted
    Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the purchase. To me rooting is more fun playing around with everything than weighing advantages... being able to "stick it to the man" for locking down an open-source system, if you will... I like tinkering with the core system and making it look or act differently compared to stock, and adding roms completely changes the game (themes are pretty much just changes to images and very little code, that's why I like it lol).

If you know what rooting is, then I assume you know you can throw a Rom on board, change up the overall look, feel, and function of the Xoom. Add a theme and it changes the look even more. Add a Kernel and you can make it run even faster and more powerful than a stock Xoom. Add the ability to backup in recovery and your golden. Stock Xooms (or any stock Android device for that matter) can't back up the system and restore it to a specific point in the past, but a rooted and regularly backed up device can. There is a very very small chance of bricking your device, but if you stay away from the one-click methods your chances of not bricking it improve 10x. Just read over everything, make sure you understand the process and the risks.

The Xoom is a developer device, being the first with honeycomb on it... It was born to be rooted

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks guys.

I am pretty far away from even thinking about attempting it. That thread is a great guide and has alot of info.
    Xoom 4G LTE

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    238 times
    Twitter
    RayHodge02
    Yes welcome to the forum rooting isnt that hard at all...trust me but the good thing if you don't like it(root) you can always un-root rither choice you will LOVE your xoom

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    Twitter
    It's a bird
    Thanks guys.

I am pretty far away from even thinking about attempting it. That thread is a great guide and has alot of info.
    As you mention you had jailbroken your iphone?

Which tool did you used? If you used redsnow, you will see this universal root as easy as using redsnow.

You should familiar with winterboard (need jailbreak). Here you can use launcher without jailbreak.

If you intend to root..it will bonus!!!

1 simple advantage: Back up all your apps and data on the device itself as you know iphone cant.

+ 1 for rooting

TapaTalking on Xoom

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am pretty sure it was redsnow I used. It's an iPhone 3GS. It's my company provided phone so there was no loss to me if I bricked it.
    Xoom 4G LTE

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It's my company provided phone so there was no loss to me if I bricked it.
    Ohh, you only risk your job. Read the IT policy of your company.
    Last edited by joe.bungle; 12-02-2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: grammar

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by joe.bungle View Post
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by joe.bungle View Post
    There are far worse things I can get in trouble for than JBing a phone. That is the least of my worries.
    Xoom 4G LTE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads