• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Used wireless router (once) and now Facebook newsfeed has disappeared

This is a discussion on Used wireless router (once) and now Facebook newsfeed has disappeared within the New Member Introduction & Site Assistance forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; I have mostly used 3G to access internet, but signal is weak at home, so friend gave me Netgear wireless router to broadcast signal from ...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Used wireless router (once) and now Facebook newsfeed has disappeared

I have mostly used 3G to access internet, but signal is weak at home, so friend gave me Netgear wireless router to broadcast signal from my cable connection. We hooked it up, checked it on my laptop which presumably was still getting signal through the router to the cable, and installed it on Xoom. Everything seemed fine and I downloaded one app from Google play store. I turned everything off and unplugged router overnight and in the morning laptop connection was not restored, and the newsfeed on Facebook is gone for the Xoom but still fine for laptop. I have removed router and tried to go back to original settings, turned wifi off, the browser will work, email will work, but Facebook newsfeed is gone on Xoom. All other aspects of facebook seem to be fine.

I don't know whether to delete the app (not free) next or what. It is a guitar tuning/metronome app. It does have permission to access the network. I would go back to 3G only if I could. Have tracked all over the settings menu to see what might have been changed that would affect just that one part of facebook, and can't find anything.

I could have sworn that I have seen a setting that said something like Use wifi instead of 3G when available or something like that, but can not find it any more, so I don't know if there are an additional set of settings that I am missing?

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get back to where I was? I have seen that there are problems with Facebook and routers, but it seems like I should be able to get back to my former 3G conditions. I am very dependent on 3G away from home so I particularly don't want it screwed up. Both would be nice but...

Any help would be really appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    why would you turn wifi router off overnight? turn it on, access it online http://192.168.0.1 Set a passcode, setup router login , and seta unique SSID network name, and your xoom will automatically connect to at at home once configure, and use 3g when away.

you need to go to settings, and select forget for the network ssid the router used. then turn on router, there is a small button, push and hold it ithen n for 10 sec. this will reset it.

then unplug modem, unplug router, wait two min, plug modem back in, plug router back in. this power cycles them.

once everything is connected, log back into network with Xoom or pc, you need to change to ssid name and set a wpa2/psk key (if router supports it)
    Last edited by rive; 12-21-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Rive, I appreciate your reply, as might be guessed this is my first use of a router, it was an old one given to me by a friend and he installed although not with all of the above steps. I unplugged it later that evening as an afterthought because I wasn't sure if it had a firewall and I can "see" many of my neighbors' routers with either the Xoom or my laptop, so I figured mine would be equally accessible if someone passing by could guess the password or knew how to hack it.

Not sure if the router unplugging was what screwed up facebook on the Xoom (it was fine on my laptop). Closing the facebook tab on the browser and shutting the Xoom completely off and starting up again, relogging in etc, didn't fix the problem. What finally worked was logging out of fb using the menu in the upper right hand corner and logging in again, still using the password saved on the Xoom and which it had been using all along. Makes no sense to me since all other parts of the fb page were accessible and working all along, and you would think rebooting would have the same effect as logging out, but I guess not.

In any case, if I want to use the router to get better signal for my Xoom since my 3G is like one bar, I need to follow your suggestions and start over. Elsewhere on the forum I found posts that said the Xoom doesn't like Netgear routers, and this is one, and that the Xoom prefers G (whatever that may be). If you have any firsthand experience I would be glad for the information. I did find the manual for this router model online (WGR614v7) and am about halfway through reading it and may find some answers shortly. Thanks!

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    Using the stock browser on facebook you need to hit the dots in the upper right then request desktop version in order to see some stuff on fb. The chat wont work until you do that but not sure about other stuff.
    Xoom 4G/ Verizon
    Team EOS Jelly Bean Nightlies Rock!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you bigdave, I didn't know about that setting. fb newsfeed etc is working at the moment without it being checked, and I have only used chat on my computer so I don't know about it. What is the request desktop setting supposed to do in general?

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    changes the UA string (User Agent) from mobile 'android' browser to desktop chrome. sites will then direct you to full desktop versions of the websites

the uastring is how your device's internet browser identifies itself to websites/servers, and that tells the site what content to provide. The Xoom User Agent can be set to identify itself as an iPad/iPhone too.

desktop:
    mobile:
    Last edited by rive; 12-23-2012 at 01:45 AM.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you rive!

Remove Ads

Ads