• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Update from Android 4.1.2 to latest version on my older Xoom?

This is a discussion on Update from Android 4.1.2 to latest version on my older Xoom? within the New Member Introduction & Site Assistance forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; I have an older Xoom with Android 4.1.2. Can I update to the latest version of Android? What information do you need to know to ...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Update from Android 4.1.2 to latest version on my older Xoom?

I have an older Xoom with Android 4.1.2. Can I update to the latest version of Android? What information do you need to know to answer this question? If it is possible, please lead me to instructions.
    Thanks for any help.
    Mickey Dorsey

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by wmdorsey View Post
    I have an older Xoom with Android 4.1.2. Can I update to the latest version of Android? What information do you need to know to answer this question? If it is possible, please lead me to instructions.
    Thanks for any help.
    Mickey Dorsey
    Welcome to the forum. Haven't had a Xoom in years but AFAIK this is the only way to get it with root. I believe this is for the WiFi Xoom, MZ604.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/mot...alpha-t3147007
    What you have is the last factory image for the Xoom.

Note 8
    Galaxy S8 Plus
    Nexus 6 - PureNexus

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrant3876 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Haven't had a Xoom in years but AFAIK this is the only way to get it with root. I believe this is for the WiFi Xoom, MZ604.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/mot...alpha-t3147007
    What you have is the last factory image for the Xoom.

Yes, you have to root. The reference to the Lollipop ROM in the above message is a non-starter. It doesn't work. As of this moment the latest version of Android that will run on a XOOM is Kitkat (v4.4.4). Evidently there are binary Motorola blobs that reportedly are not compatible with the kernel in Android v5 and above.

I've not tried it (although I have a version of Kitkat installed on my tablet) this ROM is reported to be fully functional: https://forum.xda-developers.com/mot...-xoom-t3602655. This person, Manuellama, is the only person actively working on the ROMs. Unfortunately, there has been little progress on getting Lillipop/Marshmallow to work on the XOOM.

Good luck.

Remove Ads

Ads