• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Convince me why I should not buy a Toshiba Thrive

This is a discussion on Convince me why I should not buy a Toshiba Thrive within the New Member Introduction & Site Assistance forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; Originally Posted by superbike81 moot......moot point.... Yeah that too ;-) Sent from my favourite piece of gadge....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Convince me why I should not buy a Toshiba Thrive

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by superbike81 View Post
    moot......moot point....
    Yeah that too ;-)

Sent from my favourite piece of gadge.
    GEDified.... xoom to be donated to the kids....maybe.....probably

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ADT320 View Post
    It has all the perks that the Xoom users are looking (complaining about not having) for, ie. working SD card, full-size USB, pre-loaded Honeycomn 3.1. I have been on this forum for 3+ months and it doesn't seem Motorola or Google is listening. And it is for sale starting next week
    ADVANTAGE: XOOM

* Xoom now has 3.1, and a 3.2 update is available. Thrive is still on 3.1, and has had sleep issues
    * Xoom is price competitive with Thrive (Newegg.com - MOTOROLA XOOM with Wi-Fi Tablet NVIDIA Tegra 2 1.00GHz 10.1" Wide XGA 1GB DDR2 Memory 32GB Flash HDD NVIDIA ULP GeForce)
    * Xoom has 3G/4G available. Thrive is WiFi only.
    * MOST IMPORTANT: Xoom has Gorilla Glass. Thrive looks durable, but they use cheap, weak glass instead. I'd rather pay for some converter cables than new glass (see below)

Gorilla Glass is expensive, but durable, and is used by most high quality tablets and phones. Toshiba has saved a few bucks and decided to use low quality glass instead. And Toshiba will NOT replace your glass under any circumstances when (not if) it breaks unless you fork over ~$320!

My $579 Thrive screen stress-cracked when it dropped 2 feet flat on its back on soft linoleum in its official $50 Toshiba padded folio (with tax, that's a $700 rig). There is also a report (Glass breakage) of glass cracking when removing the rear cover per the Toshiba instructions. I know my manufacturing, and both incidents point to poor tempering of the glass. In both incidents, Toshiba support declined to repair the glass. I would consider both acceptable use. Toshiba "Support" tech reported she "had no discretion" and as the broken glass was "customer caused." They claim to have a "black and white" policy for "customer induced damage." However, when I asked the support rep what the "black and white" acceptable use case for drop-on-its-back distance was, she could not answer. She said if you dropped it an inch and the screen broke, its your fault. Apparently, any distance is too much. Heck, it couldn't even take the stress of the back cover being removed. That's a "drop" of 0 inches.

Toshiba was banned from importing products to the US in the late 80's due to unethical practices (Toshiba Corporation -- Company History). Apparently their arrogance has not disappeared. I'm sorry I ignored the reports of their reputation for shitty support, because it looks like it is well founded.

Without an acceptable use policy, Toshiba is screwing all of us. They can say *any* failure arising from manufacturing flaws or shortcuts or substandard components is due to customer abuse. And after $700 for the Thrive and case, and a looming $320 repair cost for a this tablet, I'm about done with this company. For $320, I can nearly by the WiFi Xoom. And I think I will.
    Last edited by z_mikowski; 08-29-2011 at 04:03 PM.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by z_mikowski View Post
    ADVANTAGE: XOOM

* Xoom now has 3.1, and a 3.2 update is available. Thrive is still on 3.1, and has had sleep issues
    * Xoom is price competitive with Thrive (Newegg.com - MOTOROLA XOOM with Wi-Fi Tablet NVIDIA Tegra 2 1.00GHz 10.1" Wide XGA 1GB DDR2 Memory 32GB Flash HDD NVIDIA ULP GeForce)
    * Xoom has 3G/4G available. Thrive is WiFi only.
    * MOST IMPORTANT: Xoom has Gorilla Glass. Thrive looks durable, but they use cheap, weak glass instead. I'd rather pay for some converter cables than new glass (see below)

Gorilla Glass is expensive, but durable, and is used by most high quality tablets and phones. Toshiba has saved a few bucks and decided to use low quality glass instead. And Toshiba will NOT replace your glass under any circumstances when (not if) it breaks unless you fork over ~$320!

My $579 Thrive screen stress-cracked when it dropped 2 feet flat on its back on soft linoleum in its official $50 Toshiba padded folio (with tax, that's a $700 rig). There is also a report (Glass breakage) of glass cracking when removing the rear cover per the Toshiba instructions. I know my manufacturing, and both incidents point to poor tempering of the glass. In both incidents, Toshiba support declined to repair the glass. I would consider both acceptable use. Toshiba "Support" tech reported she "had no discretion" and as the broken glass was "customer caused." They claim to have a "black and white" policy for "customer induced damage." However, when I asked the support rep what the "black and white" acceptable use case for drop-on-its-back distance was, she could not answer. She said if you dropped it an inch and the screen broke, its your fault. Apparently, any distance is too much. Heck, it couldn't even take the stress of the back cover being removed. That's a "drop" of 0 inches.

Toshiba was banned from importing products to the US in the late 80's due to unethical practices (Toshiba Corporation -- Company History). Apparently their arrogance has not disappeared. I'm sorry I ignored the reports of their reputation for shitty support, because it looks like it is well founded.

Without an acceptable use policy, Toshiba is screwing all of us. They can say *any* failure arising from manufacturing flaws or shortcuts or substandard components is due to customer abuse. And after $700 for the Thrive and case, and a looming $320 repair cost for a this tablet, I'm about done with this company. For $320, I can nearly by the WiFi Xoom. And I think I will.
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Twitter
    jblalock77
    Welcome to the forum.
    Remember: It's not really yours until you've voided the warranty.
    "Battle not with trolls, lest ye become a troll; and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you."
    Friedrich Nietzsche: A Dynamic Translation

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    I don't see what the appeal is for a full sized USB port or full sized SD card port. Every Android phone out there uses the same thing, why would you want your tablet to use something different???? I buy things for ease of use, not something that I need to buy yet ANOTHER cable for. And how will I transfer files from my microSD to an SD without needing an adapter? Or a computer if I want to go the other way.
    And for those that keep complaining about the SD card not working, what world are you in? US 3.2 has a working SD card. If you mean that it isn't always visible in a file explorer, then yes, but you need to be specific, because simply claiming it doesn't work is FALSE. It just may not work the way you WANT it to.

As far as asking us to convince you of something, well, no disrespect intended, but the only one that can determine which one is right for you is yourself. Otherwise, you'll possibly end up with a device you find out you really don't enjoy.
    What is rooting: the advantages/disadvantages | Set-up ADB | Need Help? Post Here | ADB Commands for Newcomers | Boot Animation Requests
    Remember to post the solution that worked to solve your problem so you can help others with their problems later.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Twitter
    jblalock77
    This is a necro thread. The OP was Jul 5th.
    Remember: It's not really yours until you've voided the warranty.
    "Battle not with trolls, lest ye become a troll; and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you."
    Friedrich Nietzsche: A Dynamic Translation

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Quote Originally Posted by jblalock77 View Post
    This is a necro thread. The OP was Jul 5th.
    I thought I saw it before, but there are so many of these subject posts it's hard to keep up. Maybe close the thread so nobody else can post then?
    What is rooting: the advantages/disadvantages | Set-up ADB | Need Help? Post Here | ADB Commands for Newcomers | Boot Animation Requests
    Remember to post the solution that worked to solve your problem so you can help others with their problems later.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads

Ads