• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

when will androids get generic dock that fits all android phones and tablets

This is a discussion on when will androids get generic dock that fits all android phones and tablets within the New Member Introduction & Site Assistance forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; it makes no sense that apple docks that fit all their products are everywhere but its unheard of to find an android dock in a ...

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

when will androids get generic dock that fits all android phones and tablets

it makes no sense that apple docks that fit all their products are everywhere but its unheard of to find an android dock in a store that is not brand/model specific. this makes androids look weak and devided.
    c,mon android makers band together and juice this apple im thirsty!!!!!!!!!

ps:

the dock should have the following; charger,usb host, usb pc connection, headphones jack ( on a short lead ),hdmi,

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Getsome_122
    Considering apple makes 1 ipad version at a time and it sells as many units as all fifty different android tablet versions combined it makes perfect sense as to why there are not certain specific accessories for every android model. It wouldn't make good money sense to put forth the r&d and then tool up to make just a few tens of thousands of units when you they can tool up for millions of unit for the ipads.

Honestly android and consumers would probably be better off if there were not soo many different manufacturers racing to put out new stuff all the time.

Transmitted from my Droid X using tapatalk.... AOSP Liberty ROM.....
    If I have to explain you probably wouldn't understand anyway......
    twitter: Getsome_122
    Droid X- Retired
    Galaxy Nexus- flashing something new every day
    Xoom- EOS/Rogue kernel 1.5ghz.....
    Twitter- Getsome_122

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Twitter
    jblalock77
    That's the flipside to all the openness and options you get with Android.
    Remember: It's not really yours until you've voided the warranty.
    "Battle not with trolls, lest ye become a troll; and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you."
    Friedrich Nietzsche: A Dynamic Translation

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    You can take apple out of the litmus test for how devices should be. I can't remember how many times I have had to purchase new accessories. Manufacturers love to sell you the new addons.
    SDcard System Image Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.0.(RC4). Back yours up today!

Theme Developer

Member #
    Liked
    290 times
    Twitter
    Bazar6
    ROMs
    1 Submitted
    Themes
    37 Submitted
    At least you don't have to get a specific charge cord for every device... For Apple you have to have their own awkward one, I have no idea what it's called... But Android devices all use the same USB cable. And you could probably make a "universal" dock for all Android phones... but you'd have to include parts to switch out so that it fits snug, just like the Xoom dock has one for the gel case and for for without it... And not all phones/tablets have the same ports in the same location (my Tbolt doesn't have an HDMI out... I wouldn't be able to use the same dock someone with a DX has)

Like JB said, it's the flip-side to Android and it's openness and competition... I have no problem with it tho. As long as they don't switch back to how feature phones were with different charge cords and car adapters lol.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Getsome_122
    As far as the phones having the same kind of chargers go that was something that the government enforced that all manufacturers are supposed to comply with by a certain time. Its supposed to cut down by hundreds of tons of waste per yr or something because people wont be having to but new chargers for home and car and everything with every new phone they get.
    I will have to look up the article i read on it.

Transmitted from my Droid X using tapatalk.... AOSP Liberty ROM.....
    If I have to explain you probably wouldn't understand anyway......
    twitter: Getsome_122
    Droid X- Retired
    Galaxy Nexus- flashing something new every day
    Xoom- EOS/Rogue kernel 1.5ghz.....
    Twitter- Getsome_122

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    I know the EU enforced the law, but I don't recall the U.S. ever get involved.
    SDcard System Image Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.0.(RC4). Back yours up today!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Twitter
    jblalock77
    I think it was just the EU, but Europe is a big market, so the effect will likely be felt everywhere.
    Remember: It's not really yours until you've voided the warranty.
    "Battle not with trolls, lest ye become a troll; and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you."
    Friedrich Nietzsche: A Dynamic Translation

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsome122 View Post
    As far as the phones having the same kind of chargers go that was something that the government enforced that all manufacturers are supposed to comply with by a certain time. Its supposed to cut down by hundreds of tons of waste per yr or something because people wont be having to but new chargers for home and car and everything with every new phone they get.
    I will have to look up the article i read on it.
    Yes, there was a proposal by some govt somewhere, but honestly, the reason it caught on wasn't regulation. It was because the manufacturers could keep the price the same for the devices, but save sticking in the charger, and maybe catch them later when they need to buy another one down the road.

Why give free ones, keep the extra $10-$25 they normally got saving packing one in the box and make more money later? Of course they were for it!
    What is rooting: the advantages/disadvantages | Set-up ADB | Need Help? Post Here | ADB Commands for Newcomers | Boot Animation Requests
    Remember to post the solution that worked to solve your problem so you can help others with their problems later.

Remove Ads

Ads