• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

I am new & dumb

This is a discussion on I am new & dumb within the New Member Introduction & Site Assistance forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; I have been reading this forum and a lot of this stuff is WAY over my head. Please explain what Root is & why it ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I am new & dumb

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I am new & dumb

I have been reading this forum and a lot of this stuff is WAY over my head. Please explain what Root is & why it should, or should not be done. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us. Root is like having admin authority on your windows pc.
    ***Root Info***

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Twitter
    jblalock77
    Welcome to the forum.
    Remember: It's not really yours until you've voided the warranty.
    "Battle not with trolls, lest ye become a troll; and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you."
    Friedrich Nietzsche: A Dynamic Translation

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Welcome aboard. Whatever you do, do not think or feel like you *have* to root. Many people enjoy their Xoom just fine just keeping it stock. Others just prefer to take things to the next level and root theirs.

I would suggest you read up on things and take your time before you decide if it is for you or not. It has it's pros, but it's cons as well.
    What is rooting: the advantages/disadvantages | Set-up ADB | Need Help? Post Here | ADB Commands for Newcomers | Boot Animation Requests
    Remember to post the solution that worked to solve your problem so you can help others with their problems later.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    238 times
    Twitter
    RayHodge02
    Welcom to the forum...Im still stock and love it..but some of the features I cant do because im not rooted((still thinking about it))

Xoom Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    It took me about a month before I took the plunge. I also was thinking it was way too difficult and confusing. In reality, it is not. But honestly, other than overclock, I don't do anything with my Xoom now that I couldn't do while it was stock.
    Kaveh likes this.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    Twitter
    pternahan
    Hello and welcome to the forum

Xoom Assassin

Member #
    Liked
    375 times
    I originally rooted to have SD card support, but now its included with 3.2. Please read the root info page that grant posted above and let us know if you have any questions
    Last edited by Sardo Numspa; 08-27-2011 at 07:15 AM.
    Kaveh likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    Even though I rooted mine the day I purchased it I agree with Fish. It is unnecessary if the way the Xoom operates out of the box works for you. I hated knowing that there really isn't a true backup system for the Xoom without rooting. I have been on board every since. Welcome to the forum!
    SDcard System Image Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.0.(RC4). Back yours up today!

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hottrageous View Post
    I have been reading this forum and a lot of this stuff is WAY over my head. Please explain what Root is & why it should, or should not be done. Thanks.
    Root allows you to install other firmwares on your device, its good because there are apps or features you can use that are not available to install on the firmware that came with your device, example you can read from the SD card but not right to it, with root you can and also use jump-drives external hard drives etc (with certain limits as well)

Root is bad because it voids your warranty and while you are rooting it could "brick it" making it useless or difficult to get backup and running. There are many other advantages and disadvantages search Google is your friend. before you even start rooting I would read read read, make sure you are comfortable before doing it
    fish1552 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads