• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Stupid Question. Why Root and what is root.

This is a discussion on Stupid Question. Why Root and what is root. within the New Member Introduction & Site Assistance forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Forum category; 1 what is root? 2 why root? Thanks...

tosmith1

Stupid Question. Why Root and what is root.

1 what is root?
    2 why root?
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Quote Originally Posted by tosmith1 View Post
    1 what is root?
    2 why root?
    Thanks
    Root is gaining administrative access to your device.

As far as why, it allows you to customize it beyond the cosmetic options available from within the OS. You can overclock the processor, install a custom ROM, custom theme, add SD card functionality, and more.

Just don't let anyone tell you that you NEED to root. It's really only a decision that the person using the device can make for themselves as there is some risk involved. It does void the warranty.

Anything I didn't cover above can be read about in this thread: ***Root Info***
    Last edited by fish1552; 08-31-2011 at 12:27 AM.
    What is rooting: the advantages/disadvantages | Set-up ADB | Need Help? Post Here | ADB Commands for Newcomers | Boot Animation Requests
    Remember to post the solution that worked to solve your problem so you can help others with their problems later.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    This should probably be said....

If you have to ask about rooting - you should do yourself a huge favor and research what the risks are. <hint> potentially bricking your phone, per the link above = one of the risks, but that link (and I have to admit, to not reading all five pages) doesn't really go into any detail on potential security risks. I attended an Android dev class a couple of weeks ago - and one of the fun things we learned about, is how to take advantage of device capabilities, when a user has either granted rights to our process, or rooted their device- giving same. For example, it wasn't too difficult to snap pictures from the device, without the user knowing what was happening. It was a snap to package up that picture, and fire off email, or even put things into the background, so the email could be sent off later. At that point - we had control of the data on the device (even by-passing encryption) and could grab what we want, and send it to who we want, when we want. Seriously -- it does nobody a service, to only talk about advantages of rooting, without at least mentioning... that there are very real potential risks.

That said -- even installing an application you side-loaded (or off an appstore/market) without paying attention to the warnings you are presented with can present much the same risk. Things like allowing full internet, or GPS Location, or Contacts to an application you are installing can expose you to malicious software. I am not so sure everyone scrutinizes these warnings enough... asks themselves, "Hmm.. i wonder why this game needs access to my Contact list?" Point is -- applications ask for permissions when you install them... and many (most?) folks don't pay attention, and just click through saying "Yes". So there is danger with a non-rooted device too. The risks are lower though. Rooted phones circumvent security restrictions put in place by Android. Worse - there is no real way of telling what an application intended to do with root level access.

/nanny mode off. . . carry on

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoo View Post
    This should probably be said....
    Seriously -- it does nobody a service, to only talk about advantages of rooting, without at least mentioning... that there are very real potential risks.
    Some people here often don't think anything of pushing root when they comment on threads. It's more than likely just excitment than a lack of concern. But I'm with you. I want people to understand the risks involved as well as the advantages. People need to make an educated decision on something like this and I dislike when people tout it as good for everyone. Well, not everyone has the same needs or knowledge, and something this potentially risky is for everyone. I do it because I can't resist.

Thanks for the details. I may even include that as an addition to the newest root info post I put up yesterday. That one does a much better job of discussing the risks and advantages/disadvantages of the procedure. And this would add to it.
    Last edited by fish1552; 09-04-2011 at 02:12 AM.
    What is rooting: the advantages/disadvantages | Set-up ADB | Need Help? Post Here | ADB Commands for Newcomers | Boot Animation Requests
    Remember to post the solution that worked to solve your problem so you can help others with their problems later.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    522 times
    ROMs
    4 Submitted
    Welcome!

Remove Ads

Ads