• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Considering Xoom 2 Media Edition - a few questions...

This is a discussion on Considering Xoom 2 Media Edition - a few questions... within the Non U.S. Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the International Motorola Xoom Forum category; Okay, I got a couple of shots - all with brightness dimmed as far as possible (click for larger images). First one shows viewing from ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    jev
    Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Okay, I got a couple of shots - all with brightness dimmed as far as possible (click for larger images). First one shows viewing from the back, second from the side and for the third I kept the same settings on my camera but used the tablet as a light-source (still fully dimmed). Look at the shiftstick in the second picture and you'll see how bright it actually is.

I am aware it looks like the clocks in the dash are equally bright but that's because I didn't start the engine and than the clocks and radio are lighted at near maximum intensity - they dim if you start the engine and start driving (strange French cars eh... ).

Doable? Yes, provided you can shield the glare. I tried it on the way home and in the position I have it, it constantly draws attention from the peripheral view of your eyes. Perhaps an anti-glare sheet may also reduce the brightness a bit, but it will also scatter the light.

_MG_1619.jpg_MG_1624.jpg_MG_1625.jpg

Hope this helps,
    Cheers, Joost

PS: I can take some more tomorrow if you need more. Just let me know.
    Last edited by jev; 10-17-2012 at 01:17 PM.
    Motorola Xoom 2 Media Edition / Point of View Mobii TEGRA2 / HTC Hero - in general, Android nut

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Those pics are very helpful - and yep, it certainly is bright. Does your sat nav app not have darker skins for nighttime viewing? My Avic automatically changed to a darker nighttime skin so there was never an issue with it being too bright, although it was a smaller 6" screen.

Also can you tell me the volt / amp rating of the USB charger - I can't find anything concrete on the internet?

jev
    Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Since I have sygic configured to automatically switch night-mode, it is safe to assume these images already show the dark skin .

The powersupply is rated at 5V/1600mA. It needs to provide a fairly clean signal, the charger is known to cause erratic behaviour of the touchscreen when faulty.

There's one issue that I haven't mentioned yet. This unit obviously is not spec'd for automotive use so I don't know how well it copes with subzero temperatures or at +40C. The temperature range will be more of an issue on the hot end of the spectrum than on the cold side. Whilst the screen may not operate in the cold, I don't expect it to die either. In the summer however, the heat may fry the electronics. Especially since the radio-bay of your Maverick seems to be located at a position where the summer-sun is blasting away on it, you may find it necessary to provide some forced cooling and shield the screen from direct sunlight when not in use (good anti-theft too!). Perhaps a fan might suffice (there should be ample space behind the screen!), perhaps you need to force cool it otherwise. The back of the unit consists of a metal plate to which you could mount a heatpipe, cooling fins or something like that. Or make the system easily removable...

The Xoom has one big advantage: the glass features a moisture repelling coating. The unit is not waterproof in any way but the occasional whet finger to operate it won't harm as easily as most of its competitors. If you put an anti-glare sheet on it though, water may be held between the sheet and the screen. Something to think about I guess. Let us know how you fare if you decide to build one in!
    Motorola Xoom 2 Media Edition / Point of View Mobii TEGRA2 / HTC Hero - in general, Android nut

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Finally got a Xoom 2 ME and I'm in the process of adapting it for a permanent in-dash install. The screen size is perfect and the main casing width (landscape) just fits between the dash centre air vents. I need to sort the power / vol- / vol+ buttons so I can control them from a remote location, probably an adapted steering stalk, and also the headphone jack so I can connect it to my headunit. This should be fairly easy to do.

So what I now need is a way to use the microUSB port for both charging and connecting a USB female connector to allow connection of peripheral devices such as a pendrive etc..
    Once I know what's required I can get the relevant parts and adapt them to suit.
    If anyone can help please let me know.

Cheers

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well it seems this is a pretty dead forum.

Anyway, I've sorted the charging side regarding the pinouts and resistor needed to trigger the Xoom into charge mode running off the mains charger; I'll be powering it with a buck converter at 5V/2A, which is more current than the mains charger. Just figuring out the OTG wiring, and then how to switch between the two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Ads