• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Considering Xoom 2 Media Edition - a few questions...

This is a discussion on Considering Xoom 2 Media Edition - a few questions... within the Non U.S. Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the International Motorola Xoom Forum category; Just registered here as I'm considering a Xoom 2 ME 8.2 WiFi as a sat nav and music storage in my car. It will be ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Considering Xoom 2 Media Edition - a few questions...

Just registered here as I'm considering a Xoom 2 ME 8.2 WiFi as a sat nav and music storage in my car. It will be permanently installed where my original headunit was - the h/u has already been sited to a different place below the dash. I have a few questions that I'm hoping existing owners can answer so I can decide if the Xoom will be a suitable purchase for my needs.

First, what is the size of the visible screen, i.e. the usable viewing area within the black border? The aperture within my dash is 190mm wide x 122mm high - if the screen fits within this area then I'm halfway there. I already know the external dimensions of the Xoom will allow it to fit behind the aperture.

Second, how good is the Xoom 2 as a standalone sat nav, and what apps can be recommended? Also, I have a Nokia N9 and find the Nokia Drive / Nokia Maps great to use - is it possible to get them running on the Xoom?

Any answers will be welcome. Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by dumpystig View Post
    Just registered here as I'm considering a Xoom 2 ME 8.2 WiFi as a sat nav and music storage in my car. It will be permanently installed where my original headunit was - the h/u has already been sited to a different place below the dash. I have a few questions that I'm hoping existing owners can answer so I can decide if the Xoom will be a suitable purchase for my needs.

First, what is the size of the visible screen, i.e. the usable viewing area within the black border? The aperture within my dash is 190mm wide x 122mm high - if the screen fits within this area then I'm halfway there. I already know the external dimensions of the Xoom will allow it to fit behind the aperture.

Second, how good is the Xoom 2 as a standalone sat nav, and what apps can be recommended? Also, I have a Nokia N9 and find the Nokia Drive / Nokia Maps great to use - is it possible to get them running on the Xoom?

Any answers will be welcome. Cheers.
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. I own the OG Xoom so not sure about some of your questions. The Xoom has gps and a pretty good navigation app.

Note 8
    Galaxy S8 Plus
    Nexus 6 - PureNexus

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks pal, I'm sure someone will have answers soon enough.

And what is the OG Xoom? Sorry for the noob q

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by dumpystig View Post
    Thanks pal, I'm sure someone will have answers soon enough.

And what is the OG Xoom? Sorry for the noob q
    It's the original 10" Xoom.

Note 8
    Galaxy S8 Plus
    Nexus 6 - PureNexus

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks again. Had an idea, but....

jev
    Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Are you sure about the size of the in-dash bay? Most car manufacturers implement double-DIN bays (180x100mm) as per ISO standard 7736 and your 122mm high bay would exceed that pretty much. What car are we talking about?

Anyway, the visible size of the Xoom 2 ME (didn't measure it!) is 8.2" in diameter, 1280x800 (square) pixels. That means the visible area is 178 x 111.2 mm, thus slightly higher than the doubledin but it should fit your bay if that indeed exceeds doubleDIN. If you want to be sure, I can measure it this evening (don't have my Xoom2ME with me right now).

I have used my Xoom2ME on several occasions as a backup to my TomTom. I would not recommend using it for this purpose as I've written here before. Even at 8.2" it's just too big, too shiny, you'll need to add wiring to it for power, on/off button and probably some kind of audio connection (the use BlueTooth for that is bound to be a fiasco) and it *will* transmit a lot of light in the dark.

Having said that, if you do decide to pursue the use of a tablet for this usage, the Xoom2 will do just as well as any other. As for software I would suggest to buy Sygic; much better that google nav and it doesn't need a live data-connection for routing. As for using the Xoom2ME as a music-source: it's somewhat limited in data storage, it doesn't feature an SD Card and the USB connector will most likely be used to provide power to the unit. How much music do you want to store on it? Also, how do you plan to get the music from the device to the radio/receiver in your car?

Edit: screensize measured 110 x 177mm (+/- 1 mm). When using Sygic, you should be able to do with a centimeter less on the top.
    Last edited by jev; 10-16-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: measured screensize
    Motorola Xoom 2 Media Edition / Point of View Mobii TEGRA2 / HTC Hero - in general, Android nut

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Jev and thanks for the helpful info. Firstly my car is a 2003 Ford Maverick (UK) / Escape (US). The headunit size is either standard double DIN or larger in height after the simple removal of a blank plate giving the extra height of 122mm. If you can give me the actual size of the viewable screen within the black border that will be a big help.

After modifying the dash I will fit the Xoom so it abuts the rear of the fascia aperture and (hopefully) only the screen will be visible within the aperture. The controls and connections will be something along these lines -

- Power supply: custom regulated dc>dc converter which I will build myself. A male / female USB lead will run from the Xoom USB to the glovebox where either the power or a data / storage source can be connected.
    - Controls for power / sleep and volume - / +: parallel wiring directly from the motherboard switches to a customised steering stalk control from a Ford Focus.
    - Audio: mini jackplug lead from the headphone socket to a AUX-IN connection on my headunit, a Pioneer AVH-5900DVD.

I read your linked post and I will look further into Sygic - I'm used to using the excellent TeleAtlas mapping on my Avic sat nav. Regarding nighttime driving and brightness, I may be able to figure out dim / bright buttons on the steering stalk.

So if you can give me those dimensions I should be able to confirm whether or not the Xoom ME is the one to go for.

Cheers

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just saw your edit, thanks a lot. Those dimensions are great, the screen would be totally visible / accessible with just a small portion of the black border up to the aperture - should look really neat. Looking more like the ME may be my next purchase...

jev
    Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Seems like you've got it under control. Note that the USB (power) is located on one of the short sides and the 3.5mm audio jack is located on the opposite side. Also, power and volume controls are on the back, they are implemented as microswitches I think. You may find it necessary to put some anti-glare sheet on it though, it shines like a mirror and that's not very good in an automotive environment.

Screen brightness: if I can remember I'll shoot an image of the ME in the car when it's dark, fully dimmed so you'll see what I mean. Note: the light sensor is located in the bezel (next to the Motorola logo), you may need to drill an extra hole in the dash for that.
    Motorola Xoom 2 Media Edition / Point of View Mobii TEGRA2 / HTC Hero - in general, Android nut

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Nice one for the extra info. I've already d/l the user manual, specs, various pics etc. so I have a pretty good idea how things will be implemented although until I have the actual device I decide on fitting it's mostly educated guess-work. So far the Xoom has it's shortcomings but it's external size and screen size are almost a perfect fit for my setup.

I'd already considered the screen appearance and have a few protectors in mind that may be suitable. But a pic or two would be great, possibly full brightness to fully dim at night? I really appreciate your help - I posted the same topic on 2 other forums and had zero replies so far...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads