• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Updating to 3.2 from 3.0.1 for a non US user

This is a discussion on Updating to 3.2 from 3.0.1 for a non US user within the Non U.S. Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the International Motorola Xoom Forum category; I don't think you can flash 3G US firmware onto a UK 3G device. At least - you might but you would lose 3G connectivity. ...

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Updating to 3.2 from 3.0.1 for a non US user

Ben
    Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I don't think you can flash 3G US firmware onto a UK 3G device. At least - you might but you would lose 3G connectivity. As I understand it, US 3G Xoom devices are supplied by Verizon - and their cellular network runs on CDMA technology. UK 'cellular'/mobile networks run on GSM. So if you did get US 3G software running on a UK 3G device, it would run as a wifi-only model. But I've got a nagging thought in the back of my mind I've seen reference to a guide somewhere that it's possible to do this and then patch back in the GSM drivers, to regain the 3G connectivity.

FYI folks this thread is the same topic as a that in a sticky thread in Hacking Guides. So you can check in there for additional hints & tips :-)

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    What (if any) are the disadvantages of following this process on a UK wifi Xoom? How do the US ROMs differ from the UK/EU versions? I guess dictionaries are different? Keyboard layouts? Practically, what difference does it make?

Ben
    Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconS View Post
    What (if any) are the disadvantages of following this process on a UK wifi Xoom? How do the US ROMs differ from the UK/EU versions? I guess dictionaries are different? Keyboard layouts? Practically, what difference does it make?
    I've met very few practical differences. It's still a qwerty keyboard, still has a pound symbol. I've seen dates formatted 'oddly' for a UK person - but in US locale instead, which you'd expect for US version. Nothing you won't be able to live with. Market works, with pound pricing. iPlayer works because it still sees access through a UK IP address (software region irrelevant). I've not found any dictionary issues - and remember you can insert custom (i.e. British English) words in the dictionary anyway.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for that, Ben. Doesn't sound too bad. I thought the date formatting could be controlled independently of the global locale, but I can't remember.

It's tempting to make the switch but only because we just have no idea whether the official update is coming in days or weeks (or months). I could tolerate the delay to the official update but it's only easy to wait if we have better communication from Moto about when it's coming.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    One more question before I attempt this tonight, I have the Canadian Xoom, I cant find or even remmeber if a USB cable came with mine, I have other USB/micro USB cables I have used to transfer files to and from the Xoom, will these cables work, (from Nokia cellphone) or does it have to be the original Moorola USB cable ?

thanks

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    If you where able to transfer files like music or videos with these cables to your xoom then they should work fine. The Xoom came with a micro USB cable so one of them probably belongs to your device. You should be okay with these cables.

Quote Originally Posted by locus View Post
    One more question before I attempt this tonight, I have the Canadian Xoom, I cant find or even remmeber if a USB cable came with mine, I have other USB/micro USB cables I have used to transfer files to and from the Xoom, will these cables work, (from Nokia cellphone) or does it have to be the original Moorola USB cable ?

thanks

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    "Starting Fastboot protocol support", is on the screen and stays there, does nothing more

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    i dont understand, what is your question. when it says that it means you can now unlock the device but if you didnt read all of my instructions then i suggest you read them. to get out of the fastboot all you have to do is press volume up and the power button togather for 5 seconds and your device will restart normally

Quote Originally Posted by kaisersousa View Post
    "Starting Fastboot protocol support", is on the screen and stays there, does nothing more
    Last edited by oxford; 07-22-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Oxford, can I perform these steps without being connected to wifi? I understand that I will need to be connected to wifi to receive the 3.1/3.2 updates but I have some time to kill and am minus a wifi connection at the moment.

Ben
    Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Svenner - you don't need to be on wifi to perform the process. You'll need internet access to the PC so you can download whatever you need, of course! But even without wifi you can get the Xoom onto US 3.0.1 software. When you have wifi access again you can get your 3.1/3.2 updates.

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads