• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Updating to 3.2 from 3.0.1 for a non US user

This is a discussion on Updating to 3.2 from 3.0.1 for a non US user within the Non U.S. Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the International Motorola Xoom Forum category; This is a tutorial that will be explaining all the methods to all of those who have never and might not get the 3.1, never ...

Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Updating to 3.2 from 3.0.1 for a non US user

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Updating to 3.2 from 3.0.1 for a non US user

This is a tutorial that will be explaining all the methods to all of those who have never and might not get the 3.1, never less 3.2 update.
    I decided to do a tutorial that shows step by step, even for those who don’t know anything about computer, I tried my best to explain the methods with screenshots. I might do a video soon.
    Note: This tutorial will work for those who have a device that is not rooted and is outside of US
    This tutorial will show you how to update your device’s firmware from 3.0.1 in a non US Xoom to the latest 3.2 firmware (This is Only for the Wifi Model not 3G)

Requirements:
    1. Motorola Xoom USB Drivers
    2. Android SDK Tools
    3. The US 3.0.1 Firmware from the Motorola Developers Website
    4. Some knowledge in computers

NOTE: This will wipe out all of your data so be sure to back them up using your Google account and make sure you backup all your photos, music, videos to your PC. You require that your device to be unlocked and never ever be locked unless you want to go back and flash the device’s stock firmware. Also note that when you get to unlock it, it will tell you that you will void your warranty by doing so. Don’t worry about this warning because once you want to return your device to the stock firmware, you can then relock the device and have the warranty back. So you will not void it in another word. I also forgot to mention, you don't need to do any thing with adb or putting it in USB debug mode. Debug mode is not required to go to the fastboot protocol, so whoever said you need to do put your device in USB debug mode to go to the fastboot is wrong. All you have to do is follow my instruction on how to go to fastboot below. I suggest using the USB that came with the Xoom to avoid any problems. Also after installing the drivers, I suggest restarting your Computer.

Step One:
    Download and Install the Motorola Xoom USB drivers from
    http://storage.googleapis.com/tether...ager_2.5.4.exe

Step Two:
    Download the Android SDK Tools from
    http://www.android.net/forum/downloa...?do=file&id=67

After downloading the SDK Tools, extract them with an extracting tool like WinZIP or WinRAR then copy the extracted folder to C:\ then open the folder.
    In My case it is C:\SDK_tools
    To use the fastboot.exe and adb.exe tools you need to add them to the System Variables Path to do so follow these instructions for Windows 7 (Windows XP should be similar)
    Click on Start then right click Computer and click Properties
    Click on Advanced system settings (this is a screenshot)
    http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/3760/82846599.jpg
    Once you are in Advanced settings, click on Environment Variables and then look for Path under System variables (here is a screenshot)
    http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2397/40790385.jpg
    Now double click on Path and scroll to the beginning of the text in Variable value then add the path of your extracted SDK tools folder in my case it was C:\SDK_tools then place a semi colon like this ; at the end of the path so it should look like this C:\SDK_tools;
    Here is a screenshot of that
    http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/1203/33275149.jpg
    Now Click Ok and then click Ok again to close the advanced settings windows then close the System Properties Window
    Finally check if everything you did works, go to Start and type cmd and press Enter. You should get a command prompt window, type fastboot and press Enter. If you get a bunch of text then everything worked correctly, if you get a text that says is not recognized as an internal or external command,…. Then you need to go back and try to add the path correctly. (this is a screenshot of it working)
    http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3192/12400885.jpg

Step Three:
    Download the US version of the firmware 3.0.1. It is the Build HWI69 for US Retail
    Here is the Link
    http://rootzwiki.com/topic/1586-stock-images/

Extract the file with any extracting program, I used WinRAR. You should see 4 files inside of it. System.img, boot.img, recovery.img, and userdata.img

Step Four: (going to fastboot protocol and flashing the device with the US firmware)

Note: USB Debug mode is not required to go to fastboot protocol.

Plugin the device to the computer using the USB that came with it, then completely turn off the device using the power button in the back.
    Now go to Start type cmd and press enter.
    To unlock the device you need to type the following command:
    fastboot oem unlock
    You should see a text that says, waiting for device like this
    http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4900/11297515.jpg

Of course you get this message because the device is not in fastboot mode to put it in this mode you need to do the following:

The device must be off and connected, press and hold both the Volume Down button and the power button for about 5 seconds, until you see the motorla logo then the text should come up. You should see a text in the device’s screen saying Starting Fastboot protocol support. Then you should get the message that says do you want to unlock your device and the stuff about losing the warranty. To select yes you can move using the volume down button, once I accept is selected press the volume up button to continue, now press the down button again to select Yes then press the volume up button to unlock the device.
    After the unlock is the done the device will restart, let if boot normal, once you are back to the home screen, turn off the device again and go back to fastboot mode by holding both the power button and the volume down button for about 5 seconds until you see a text says that you are in fastboot protocol.

It is time to flash the device to the US version you downloaded. All you have to do is type these commands in the cmd window BUT YOU MUST NEVER EVER EVER EVER type this command “fastboot oem lock”

Here is what you should do:

Make sure cmd is open:
    Go to the path of the directory you extracted the US firmware, to do so copy the path of the folder you extracted the firmware in for example
    C:\US-Firmware\
    In cmd type cd then put a space and paste the path like this
    cd C:\US-Firmware\ then press enter

type dir to list the files inside the folder
    you should get some thing like this
    http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/7896/76384136.jpg

Make sure the image files are inside that folder, I mean the system, recovery, boot and userdata images you extracted from the US firmware you downloaded

Now using these commands to flash the us version of 3.0.1
    fastboot flash boot boot.img [Press Enter]
    fastboot flash system system.img [Press Enter]
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img [Press Enter]
    fastboot flash userdata userdata.img [Press Enter]
    fastboot erase cache [Press Enter]
    fastboot reboot [Press Enter]

Again do not ever lock the device.
    Now you should have the 3.0.1 US version, connect to the internet, play with it a few minutes and in about 5 minutes it should tell you about the 3.1 update, install it then, again wait about another 5 minutes, you should get the 3.2 update notification.
    Good luck and I hope this tutorial helped you.
    I will be glade to help you with any problems and I am willing to answer any question you have. This tutorial worked fine with me.

Note: If you ever want to go back to the stock version and relock your device to be able to use your warranty then download the firmware that belongs to your country from the same Motorola Developers website and flash it the same way you done with the US firmware. Then you can lock the device and regain the warranty.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by oxford; 05-18-2015 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Updated USB Drivers Link

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Thanks Oxford! I will have a good read through before doing anything.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    217 times
    Twitter
    XimmyT
    Wow! Nice job oxford!
    Keep on Xoomin'

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Seems like a solid set of instructions there. I may finally take the plunge since I believe 3.1 has fixed the bluetooth stack issue and experienced the issues with the bluetooth keyboard (stuck keypress) with 3.01 -- otherwise I had been quite content at waiting.

One question and only because it is akin to saying NEVER PRESS THE BUTTON. Why are you not supposed to ever relock once you've flashed your Xoom with a new image? What if you went back to the stock image that you originally had? Isn't this what yiu need to do if you want moto to honour the warrenty (aka 'un-void it). Inquiring... and often dangerous minds want to know.

M

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by moriarty777 View Post
    Seems like a solid set of instructions there. I may finally take the plunge since I believe 3.1 has fixed the bluetooth stack issue and experienced the issues with the bluetooth keyboard (stuck keypress) with 3.01 -- otherwise I had been quite content at waiting.

One question and only because it is akin to saying NEVER PRESS THE BUTTON. Why are you not supposed to ever relock once you've flashed your Xoom with a new image? What if you went back to the stock image that you originally had? Isn't this what yiu need to do if you want moto to honour the warrenty (aka 'un-void it). Inquiring... and often dangerous minds want to know.

M

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk
    You can only relock it after you flash the stock image that came with your Xoom, I read in so many places that people did do a mistake and locked it after they flashed another firmware on it and it bricked their devices.
    so please trust me on this, don't ever lock it if you have a non stock firmware flashed. If for some reason you want to use the warranty then simply download the stock firmware that belongs to your country from the same website you downloaded the US version then flash it in the same way, after that you can lock it using the command
    fastboot oem lock

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Good accurate instuctions Oxford.

The only thing missing is a note about setting the USB debug mode as you can't get the tablet into fastboot mode without this set up.

Mines all done now & just rebooting.

Can't wait for 3.1 & 3.2 to follow.

Well done Oxford.

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Can confirm that the 3.1 & 3.2 updates followed initial boot up within about 5 mins.

Now where did I put that micro SDcard

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Hi Draughtsman,

How do you set it up for USB debug mode?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by draughtsman View Post

The only thing missing is a note about setting the USB debug mode as you can't get the tablet into fastboot mode without this set up.

Well done Oxford.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, what about the data, I hope we don't lose any ?
    Thanks, from Canada

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Hello,

I am glade it worked with you. But I don't think you need to put it in debug mode to go to fastboot. I explained how to go to fastboot while the device is off. But if you want to go to fastboot while the device is On which I don't recommend it is by enabling the debug mode from the Settings under Applications then Development. After that you could use the command adb reboot bootloader

About the data, yes you will lose everything unless they are backed up with your gmail account

Quote Originally Posted by draughtsman View Post

Well done Oxford.
    Last edited by oxford; 08-14-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads