• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Time to Root the US 3.2 Wifi Only Xoom

This is a discussion on Time to Root the US 3.2 Wifi Only Xoom within the Non U.S. Xoom General Discussion forums, part of the International Motorola Xoom Forum category; Hello again, this is another detailed guide on how to Root the Wifi Only Xoom running 3.2 US Update. If you don't know what is ...

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Time to Root the US 3.2 Wifi Only Xoom

Hello again,

this is another detailed guide on how to Root the Wifi Only Xoom running 3.2 US Update.

If you don't know what is rooting, it is just giving you administrator permission in your device just like on your computer when you want to run a program as an administrator. There is also a lot of other benefits of rooting, like adding custom themes, roms, kernels and also editing the CPU frequency and Over Clocking (Gaining more CPU and GPU power on the device for better performance) If you want to learn more about rooting and a list of benefits in rooting the device then you should search it on the Hacking Section in this forum.

One thing to mention, I don't take any credits for finding the method below on how to root the 3.2 Wifi Xoom but I decided to make a Guide in this forum that explain the method in better details and screenshots. Also in the source link below there is the files for the 3G Xoom model but because I have only the Wifi Xoom and I can confirm it works perfectly with me then the 3G should also work in the same way.
    Origional Guide Source: [GUIDE][US WIFI & 3G] How To Root Your Xoom From 3.2 Stock [PC & Mac] - xda-developers

Requirements:
    1. Motorola USB Drivers
    2. SDK Tools
    3. Unlocked Oem bootloader
    4. Wifi Only Xoom Boot Image
    5. SupoerUser Application and the SU binary

Note: You will have to do this at your own risk but then again, I can confirm that this worked in my Wifi Only Xoom running US 3.2 in a Canadian Xoom. If you have a non US Wifi Xoom and you would like to convert it to US Xoom and then Update to 3.1 and then 3.2 then apply this guide then follow this guide Updating to 3.2 from 3.0.1 for a non US user
    If you have already followed the above guide and you already have the US 3.2 Update then you can skip the first 3 steps above otherwise just read the whole guide. If you followed the above guide then I am assuming you did not lock your device because I mentioned that a lot in the guide so you should be ready to go to step 4. Also for everyone else MAKE SURE YOU HAVE 3.2 and not 3.0.1 or 3.1 otherwise this will brick your device and I am not responsible for those who never read carefully. For less problems I suggest using the USB cable that came with your device and also after you install the Motorola USB drivers restart your computer to be 100% sure things will work smoothly.

Step 1:

Disconnect your Xoom from the PC USB port and keep the device ON
    The first thing you need is the USB drivers from the Motorola's website
    Here is the link: http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/...iver_5.0.0.exe

After you are done downloading the above file, install it and restart the computer.
    Once the computer restarts, connect the device to your computers USB port. Now to check if the drivers where installed correctly. Make sure the device is on and connected to the PC. In your device go to Settings->Applications->Development and check the USB debugging and press OK in the message box. Now your PC should start recognizing the device and it will show if it has been recognized correctly or not.

Step 2:

Download the Android SDK Tools from
    http://www.android.net/forum/downloa...?do=file&id=67

After downloading the SDK Tools, extract them with an extracting tool like WinZIP or WinRAR then copy the extracted folder to C:\ then open the folder.
    In My case it is C:\SDK_tools
    To use the fastboot.exe and adb.exe tools you need to add them to the System Variables Path to do so follow these instructions for Windows 7 (Windows XP should be similar)
    Click on Start then right click Computer and click Properties
    Click on Advanced system settings (this is a screenshot)
    http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/3760/82846599.jpg
    Once you are in Advanced settings, click on Environment Variables and then look for Path under System variables (here is a screenshot)
    http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2397/40790385.jpg
    Now double click on Path and scroll to the beginning of the text in Variable value then add the path of your extracted SDK tools folder in my case it was C:\SDK_tools then place a semi colon like this ; at the end of the path so it should look like this C:\SDK_tools;
    Here is a screenshot of that
    http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/1203/33275149.jpg
    Now Click Ok and then click Ok again to close the advanced settings windows then close the System Properties Window
    Finally check if everything you did works, go to Start and type cmd and press Enter. You should get a command prompt window, type fastboot and press Enter. If you get a bunch of text then everything worked correctly, if you get a text that says is not recognized as an internal or external command,…. Then you need to go back and try to add the path correctly. (this is a screenshot of it working)
    http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3192/12400885.jpg

Step 3:

Right now you should be able to execute the fastboot and adb command in cmd from your PC.
    Now it is time to unlock the device to be able to flash the boot image using the fastboot command.
    Plugin the device to the computer if it is not plugged in using the USB cable that came with it, then completely turn off the device using the power button in the back.
    Press and hold both the Volume Down button and the power button for about 5 seconds, until you see the Motorola logo. You should see a text in the device’s screen saying Starting Fastboot protocol support at the top left corner.
    Now open cmd in your PC and type in the command
    fastboot oem unlock
    and press enter to execute it.
    Note that by unlocking your device you will void the warranty of the device but if you want to regain the warranty, you should flash the device with a stock firmware from motorola's developer website that belongs to your country.
    After the command is executed, you should get the message that says do you want to unlock your device and the stuff about losing the warranty. To select yes you can move using the volume down button, once I accept is selected press the volume up button to continue, now press the down button again to select Yes then press the volume up button to unlock the device.
    After the unlock is done the device will restart, let it boot normal.

To be continued...
    Last edited by oxford; 08-20-2011 at 08:47 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    waiting for you to complete the guide....

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Twitter
    jblalock77
    Remember: It's not really yours until you've voided the warranty.
    "Battle not with trolls, lest ye become a troll; and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you."
    Friedrich Nietzsche: A Dynamic Translation

Remove Ads

Ads