• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Is the grass always greener?

This is a discussion on Is the grass always greener? within the Off-Topic Forum forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; So, I bought a macbook pro today. I have been wanting a new laptop to replace my netbook (a gateway lt2016u). A slow machine that ...

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Twitter
    @slitherjef

Is the grass always greener?

So, I bought a macbook pro today. I have been wanting a new laptop to replace my netbook (a gateway lt2016u). A slow machine that took nearly a full 5 minutes before it boot up all the way and I could actually use it. Even then loading even web pages was slow. Even with the ram "upgrade" I did to it, well, it was slow as tar. I can thank XP and norton to that. Not to mention all the bloatware on it I did not need. The size of the netbook was not too bad, but trying to do anything on it like watching youtube was painful. Youtube vids were choppy.

So, I decided to do some research. Most of the notebook / ultrabooks even the ones in the 1K mark had bloat on them!? No thanks. Even Dell tried to push an office demo on me. I got office, why do I need it pre installed? Anyway, I found the bloat was just too much to deal with. I did look at some Dell laptops and found them to be very cheap feeling. Pressing on the lid showed finger marks on the LCD display. During my research, I sort of settled on the 13" macbook pro base model to "try out" as a netbook replacement. I was going to do the air, but for nearly the same cost, I got a lot more power and features.

What do I plan on doing with my new macbook pro? Well, I was going to use the new laptop for financing, but I think I will keep my old gateway for that task. I think the macbook will be used for a lot of stuff such as:

Light photo editing (perhaps movie / timelapse editing / cutting)
    Web browsing
    Movie watching
    Android device hacking
    And I am sure even more uses.

Is the grass always greener on the other side of the fence? Im not sure, but I thought I would take a closer look.

Any other mac users here? How does your mac and android work together?
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE unlocked and ready to rock! | Xoom 4G 4.0.3 ICS (Team EOS rom)

2. # ADS
    Ads

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I have a Mac Mini. It works great. After buying it, I thought I was never buying a regular PC again. The operating system is really great for multimedia and for work (I work as a programmer, so, having a good console, unix-based, is mandatory).
    However, after one year using it, I didn't see huge advantages anymore. Almost everything I do on my Mac I can do on my PC with Windows and/or Linux.
    So, a few weeks ago, I searched a new lightweight notebook to replace my old Dell (and its heavy 2.7 Kg). I was looking for a Macbook Air, but here in Brazil, anything Apple-branded have a much higher cost than anything else. So, instead of paying about US$ 1500 for the most cheap Macbook Air, I bought a great Sony Vaio for something about US$ 600. No regrets. So, that's my story: I used both "grasses" (is this a correct word?), and now I'm going to the cheapest side of the force again.
    Even having all of these in mind, I highly recommend a Mac for those who want to try it. Great computer, great OS. For me, the best OS does not exists: the best depends on the preferences of the user.
    Finally, answering your question: my Xoom works great with my Mac. Using the Android File Manager, of course (I don't remember the correct name of this thing).

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    "There's no bad job. The bad thing is have to work." - Ramón Valdés
    "Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor, consulta el manual." - Wheatley

Remove Ads

Ads