• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Spontaneous reboot after ICS update

This is a discussion on Spontaneous reboot after ICS update within the Xoom Rescue Squad Help forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Support Forum category; I have an unrooted, stock Xoom. After the auto update to ICS it's now rebooting periodically- the batwing appears then kaleidoscope screen. It happens when ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Spontaneous reboot after ICS update

I have an unrooted, stock Xoom. After the auto update to ICS it's now rebooting periodically- the batwing appears then kaleidoscope screen. It happens when the xoom is "sleeping" at random intervals.

I've searched various forums and can only find one other reference to a similar problem.

I tried a hard reset and extending the sleep interval.

Any thoughts?

Ron

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Did you hard reset as in going to settings and doing a factory restore? Or did you do a soft reset with power and volume combo?

Have you installed any new apps after the update?

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

im having this problem too

ive had to soft reset everytime i leave my xoom for an extended period of time as it refuses to turn back on from sleep. ive also tried removing everything back to factory defaults and it is still occuring...

im now slowly removing each app to try and isolate the problematic app.

is anyone else having this problem?

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    it was a hard reset. I didn't intentionally reload any software, but my apps did "sync" with the marketplace. maybe I'll try uninstalling them manually.Update: I've uninstalled every program that I could and am now at the baseline software, with the exception of the email app. I have also stopped all automatic syncing of data. 40 minutes later the xoom reset, then 5 minutes after the first reset, it's now initiating another reset.
    Last edited by rfpsr; 01-28-2012 at 08:04 AM.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by fierytrev View Post
    ive had to soft reset everytime i leave my xoom for an extended period of time as it refuses to turn back on from sleep. ive also tried removing everything back to factory defaults and it is still occuring...

im now slowly removing each app to try and isolate the problematic app.

is anyone else having this problem?
    Welcome to the forum.Glad you decided to join us. A soft reboot as suggested by Castorshells has solved a lot of the problems after the ICS update.

Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 6T

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I tried several soft reboots before the hard one. Nothing is working.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey Ron,

I'm having the same issue! 95% of the time after it goes to sleep, it won't turn back on. I have to constantly do soft reboots, and occasionally the soft reboot doesn't work and I have to wait 15-20 min., with the screen frozen on the batwings. It won't even power down, it's just stuck on the first boot screen.

I have no idea what to do about it, but it's INCREDIBLY frustrating!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just purchased a new US version Xoom wifi only yesterday (to replace my non US version that I returned). Got it up and running just fine. It went through all the updates from 3.0 up to 4.0.3. Powered it off last night. Brought it to work this morning, and tried to power it up, but it continuously reboots. It rarely gets past the startup colors before freezing. On the off chance that it gets to the point where it shows the clock, it's already unresponsive. I read somewhere that it could be a wifi issue (I'm at work where I don't have available wifi). I'm hoping when I get back home, it may work again. Maybe I'll try to find a fee wifi hotspot to see if that helps..

What's really frustrating is that I can't even get it to power off so I can look into it more when I get home. I guess eventually the battery will die.

UPDATE 1 - I've tried the soft reboot. I can't do a hard reboot because it won't even boot completely.

UPDATE 2 - I walked to an area where I know there is free wifi and it booted up fine. I came back to my desk and it's rebooting again. Seems like it is something to do with the wifi. I am going back to the hotspot so I can boot up and then I will power the tablet down until I get home. Battery is down to just 30% (was fully charged about 3 hours ago)
    Last edited by ElVee; 02-02-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Still more information

Xoom Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    This might not be helpful, but have you tried removing installed apps, or not re-installing them for a while after a hard reset? Could be an incompatible app.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I thought this was caused by faulty hardware on my side, now I guess it has something to do with ICS on the Xoom, since Im in europe I tried a custom ICS rom which is available, but had the same problems with the tablet shutting down during sleep and needing a soft reset to wake up (sometimes I had to wait 2-5 min before even the soft reset worked). Its odd this is happening to an unrooted device on stock ICS thought imho :/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads