• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Xoom Dropped, Black Screen Only

This is a discussion on Xoom Dropped, Black Screen Only within the Xoom Rescue Squad Help forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Support Forum category; My daughter dropped our Xoom 32GB WiFi. I'm living in Brazil so it might be a nightmare in terms of price to repair it, if ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Xoom Dropped, Black Screen Only

My daughter dropped our Xoom 32GB WiFi.

I'm living in Brazil so it might be a nightmare in terms of price to repair it, if even possible, so I thought I'd get some trouble shooting advice here first, on the chance that that the problem is obvious and I can order a part for cheep.

Nothing appears physically broken. I turn in on but only get a black screen (though you can tell it's turned on). I can reset it. However, going through the motions to unlock the screen and launch some random app apparently isn't working because I haven't heard any audio from games, etc. So, it's more than just a failed LCD.

I opened the case just to check. Again, nothing is obviously wrong physically that I can notice.

Failed motherboard? What is most likely?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by sapinho View Post
    My daughter dropped our Xoom 32GB WiFi.

I'm living in Brazil so it might be a nightmare in terms of price to repair it, if even possible, so I thought I'd get some trouble shooting advice here first, on the chance that that the problem is obvious and I can order a part for cheep.

Nothing appears physically broken. I turn in on but only get a black screen (though you can tell it's turned on). I can reset it. However, going through the motions to unlock the screen and launch some random app apparently isn't working because I haven't heard any audio from games, etc. So, it's more than just a failed LCD.

I opened the case just to check. Again, nothing is obviously wrong physically that I can notice.

Failed motherboard? What is most likely?
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. Does it still charge? There's numerous things that could have happened but if it still charges I'd put it on the charger and leave it until the charge indicator turns green and then another 30 minutes. Try a soft reboot, press and hold the power button and the volume up button together until the Xoom starts to reboot, then release them both. If there's no physical damage this might help.

LG V60 Dual Screen
    Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, I'll report back. Thanks.

But to make sure I was clear, when turned on, the screen is indeed powered, except it's just a black picture. (i.e., peeking through the crack where the SIM-chip is placed you can see that the backlight is powered when turned on).

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Same problem to me too

Hello,

I got the exactly same problem with my Xoom WiFi too, did you find any solution ?

Please post, thanks

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    2223 times
    Twitter
    mgrant76308
    Quote Originally Posted by gereqi View Post
    Hello,

I got the exactly same problem with my Xoom WiFi too, did you find any solution ?

Please post, thanks
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. Hope he gets back to you soon.

LG V60 Dual Screen
    Note 10 Plus
    OnePlus 7 Pro

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello there, I dropped my xoom last night and i have the exact same issue. Have you guys found a solution yet?

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Same problem here - charge, re-charge, battery pull, etc. did work. My Xoom was dropped as well.

If someone can provide a troubleshooting guide, that will be excellent. It may just be a single part that can be replaced or a connector that became loose but I don't have any idea where to start first.

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    It will cost more to replace the damaged parts than its worth (the wifi xoom sells used for around $100-$150, and the 3G/4G version for around $200-$250)

For the price of a used xoom you can get a faster, more powerful 10" tab
    Last edited by rive; 12-04-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the same problem. What I did is opened up the back and removed the LCD cable and put it back. My Xoom came alive again but, this time, the screen is rich with red colors. I will open it up again and remove the motherboard and remove/replace the same LCD cable connected to the LCD screen itself to see if that will fix it.

The LCD cable is shown here at the bottom left of the Xoom:

motorola-xoom-teardown.jpg

Xoom Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Got mine fixed! I dismantled the tablet up to the cable connecting the motherboard to the LCD. Took both out, re-attached, re-assembled, then rebooted fine! No more black screen, no more just the backlight showing, and no more red screen. It look like the tablet is prone to loose cable after a drop.

This is why I am holding on to my Xoom after over 2 years. It is easy to fix. Parts are readily available if you have to replace anything broken.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads