• Login:

Welcome to the Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[Q] Canadian Xoom - Rooting

This is a discussion on [Q] Canadian Xoom - Rooting within the Xoom Rescue Squad Help forums, part of the Motorola Xoom Support Forum category; Hello, I finally decided to root my device because I am tired of waiting weeks and months for them to release the update. However, I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Aaron407
  • 1 Post By oxford

Thread: [Q] Canadian Xoom - Rooting

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times

[Q] Canadian Xoom - Rooting

Hello,
    I finally decided to root my device because I am tired of waiting weeks and months for them to release the update. However, I have few questions I couldn't find answers for them.
    Q1. Since I will root the canadian xoom version, will I be able to restore it to stock later if I needed because I read some where that if I unlock it and convert it to US version, I must not relock it ever, is that true? will I lose the warranty since I can't relock it?
    Q2. Will the xoom be faster if I root it? or I won't gain any performance. (Without Overclocking of course) Also will it decrease or effect the battery life.
    Q3. I am finding it hard to find the thread that explains how to convert it to US and update to 3.1 then root it. Can you help me find it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by oxford; 06-17-2011 at 02:10 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    ROMs
    1 Submitted
    There are some guides that answer your questions. [GUIDE] XOOM 3G Euro Root Instructions + Files. - xda-developers

If you want to try and load US software we have some guides, Motorola Xoom Hacking Guides

You will see a decreasebin battery life if you are overclocking at the highest values. At 1200 MHz you shouldn't see to much of a difference.

We do have a couple Canadian Xoom owners who have rooted. Maybe they can chime in and let you know the path they took.

And I think that all versions have stock images available at motodev.
    Last edited by NewAge; 06-17-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I'm currently running a Canadian Xoom hardware-wise, but rooted US 3.1 in terms of software. I started with these threads:

xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q][SOLVED] Upgrading from Canadian Wifi 3.0.1 to US Wifi 3.1
    Setting up ADB on Windows 7 64 bit (and other Windows platforms)

Oh, and feel free to check out my troubleshooting thread where I solved a blatantly obvious issue during the rooting process:
    Stuck in the Middle of Rooting a Canadian Xoom

You have to unlock your Xoom to flash a new image file that you download from the Motorola website. If you ever want to go back to 100% stock, you should be able to download and flash the stock image back, then relock your Xoom.

In terms of running faster, you probably won't see much of a difference with the stock ROM other than the enhancements/upgrades present in 3.1 vs. 3.0.1. I am overclocked and loving it though. With Droid Overclock I'm running at 1.504GHz when it feels the need, but it automatically underclocks when speed isn't necessary. Overall I haven't seen much difference at all in battery life, but definitely a big positive difference in performance.

Hope this helps. If you come across any snags in the process, feel free to post or PM me and I might be able to help.
    NewAge likes this.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Yes. Thank you everyone I finally done it and unlocked my device and got the latest update. thank you, thank you, thank you. however i have yet to root it
    Last edited by oxford; 06-17-2011 at 09:07 PM.
    NewAge likes this.

Xoom Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    when i tried installing cwm in step 4 it installed fine and i rebooted the device to recovery but then i got an android in the middle of the screen with exclamation mark. i tried flashing the older version of cwm 3.0.2.8 and the same thing happen. any suggestion?
    Last edited by oxford; 06-17-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Xoom Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oxford View Post
    when i tried installing cwm in step 4 it installed fine and i rebooted the device to recovery but then i got an android in the middle of the screen with exclamation mark. i tried flashing the older version of cwm 3.0.2.8 and the same thing happen. any suggestion?
    After flashing CWM and sending the fastboot reboot command, are you 'catching the boot' as mentioned in step 3 here:
    [GUIDE][WIFI ONLY] How to Root the Xoom from Stock 3.1 - xda-developers

It states "As soon as you send the 'fastboot reboot' command in the previous step, your device will reboot. You have to boot into recovery right away or your Xoom will reflash the stock recovery over the custom recovery you just installed"

If that does or does not work, report back!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Moved to Rescue Squad sub ...
    Bensode
    Debian, XOOM & Droid Enthusiast

Ads